Bass fishing off Mersea Island

Sheepy

Hi

A while back I asked about Bass fishing in the Blackwater estuary and got some very helpful replies about suggested areas. The next question is now the weather is starting to warm up a bit have the Bass (and/or Mackerel/garfish im happy to catch whats out there) started to move in? Also whats the best time of year. Whilst asking away can anybody recomend some spinners or plugs that would work well. I am a complete novice at sea fishing but have enough lure fishing kit to equip myself and my father in law (who hasnt fished at all before) for a day out. Therefore we would be happy catching smaller school fish.

Cheers.

Hi Sheepy,

I have to recomend my fathers Cox and Rawle bass bullets, the small green mackeral ones work well, they need to be retrieved faily quickly popping them across the surface and jurking them back.

Any pf the Reparla range work well as do Storm Bass Bugs to.

Try Gold hanger creek on a neep tide and calm conditions as this is when the water will be at its clearest. Fishing is best at slack water and often thre birds can be seen working, this is a realy good syne that the bass are feeding on bait fish.

Also worth a go is shingley head point at Tollsberry, or Stansgate on the south side of the river.

You can also bait fish with your light tackle, rag worm can be purchased from Latchingdon as can peeler crabs(although crabs are expensive so I collect my own), try ledgering with a 1 to 2 oz bomb and 2/0 to 3/0 hook this will get more fish than spinning.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

no trace needed, 8 to 10 lb line straight through. most shops sell bass bullets, toby spoons also work, mepps to.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

best ledgering with rag or crab, unless water is gin clear, not many mackeral or gars from the shore though.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

TRY HEADING WEST TO THE MOORINGS AT ST LAWRANCE AND STANSGATE, OR godhanger creek can be good.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

• 5 years later...