Paul Witcher reels

MikeT

The interesting history of Paul Witcher’s peerless reel-making has now been documented on his website, here:

Witcher Reels History

Now all I need is one of those lamps with a Genie inside…

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

The interesting history of Paul Witcher’s peerless reel-making has now been documented on his website, here:

Witcher Reels History

Now all I need is one of those lamps with a Genie inside…

Thanks for that Mike - a mate of mine has a Bisterne - they ARE gorgeous!! I wonder though if there's a mistake in the text - 33 Witcher Aerials made - well mine is number 34!!!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I’ll find out for you, Chris. Paul uses a complicated method for numbering his reels- my Avon Elite II is numbered 47, but only around 15 were made of that particular type.

Yes, the Bisterne Aerials are truly fabulous. I’m incredibly lucky to have the first Bisterne he made, Number 0, which was owned by Chris Yates for several years and which appeared in some of his articles at the time. Yates called it the finest Wallis casting reel ever made, and it's reputed to be Paul’s personal favourite reel.

I want his Centenary, too. For that one, I’d murder him with my bare hands without hesitation, and happily go to prison. ;)

Edited by MikeT

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Regarding the numbering of Witcher reels, there remains some mystery about it. The Witcher Aerials (1920 pattern) were actually numbered up to 40, although the exact quantity Paul made is uncertain from his memory and contemporaneous records. The Avon Elite numbering series was continuous from the earlier models through the second generation (Elite II), so there were in fact around 47 of these in total (of which mine is the 47th). The Bisterne Aerials were numbered differently too, so I guess there will always be a certain ambiguity about the Witcher catalogue. Considering the mysterious enchantment of the reels themselves, I feel this is somehow appropriate.

• 1 month later...
Regarding the numbering of Witcher reels, there remains some mystery about it. The Witcher Aerials (1920 pattern) were actually numbered up to 40, although the exact quantity Paul made is uncertain from his memory and contemporaneous records. The Avon Elite numbering series was continuous from the earlier models through the second generation (Elite II), so there were in fact around 47 of these in total (of which mine is the 47th). The Bisterne Aerials were numbered differently too, so I guess there will always be a certain ambiguity about the Witcher catalogue. Considering the mysterious enchantment of the reels themselves, I feel this is somehow appropriate.

Iwas interested to read your comments on the numbering of witcher reels I own an Avon Elite that I bought new From Paul numbered 59! So I'm left wondering where this sits with the 47 theory.

Yes, it’s all very mysterious, isn’t it? Chris Plumb has a 1920 pattern Witcher, numbered 34, when only about 33 were made- and which were numbered up to 40!

I’ve asked Paul about his confusing numbering again today. He often made little production runs of his various reels as they underwent different stages of change in their specification. The Avon Elite came in two main phases- of which yours and mine belong to the second (the Elite II). Mine was finished at the end of that phase, and was one of about fifteen made in that particular specification. Your No. 59 was from another. Paul’s numbering followed no consistent system, with new run series being started when several reels had still to be completed from earlier runs- and he gave them a new starting number. And he might subsequently complete and sell an 'older' model. So, for example, he’d serial number a run of reels from 40 to 50, but only finish, say, seven of them. Then the next phase would start with number 51, which might be followed by a number 48. Only fifteen of the 21 Bisterne Aerials have actually been finished, but if he ever made another one in a new specification (please, God), it would be number 22. In total, he finished something like 130 reels, though if you added up their serial numbering it would suggest he made many more than that.

I actually rather like the confusing mystery of the numbering business, as it emphasises the uniqueness of every single one of his beautiful reels, but we may see a formal and comprehensive catalogue being produced one day...

By the way, if Bisterne 22 does ever arrive, it's mine, okay? :D

Fine. But I should warn you I'm taking Nandralone and doing altitude training already. :D

What a detailed, informative article. It must be a nightmare working to such fine tolerances, knowing that if you make the tiniest mistake you've lost hours and hours of work.

I can see why handmade 'pins are priced as they are. I thought £200+ for my Purist II was a lot of money, but it would take me months to make one, if I ever got to the end! :lol:

James P

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"