Richard Carter Aerial Gem

MikeT

Yes, I’m sure you’re right, but I’m an incorrigible aesthete and I find it isn’t giving me the joy I’m used to with the Witcher reels. The Carter does the job perfectly well- it's pretty much run-in already- and I’m sure a better angler than me would find it a superb ‘all-rounder’. But it lacks a certain extra ‘something’ that's a crucial part of the whole fishing experience to me. I know it’s all in my head but I’m sure I simply won’t use it much, and that makes having it a bit pointless since I only bought it to be a workhorse substitute for my Bisterne. I know I won’t be able to resist taking that reel instead. Stupid, eh?

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It did look a lovely reel when I saw it at Timsbury and it's a shame it doesn't suit your needs. If it struggles with light gear it might just need a bit of use and running in.

Yes, when I first aquired mine it was quite tight however after a carefull bit of running in it now spins like a dream

It does spin beautifully well- that’s not my complaint. I’m not actually sure what my complaint is, since the reel itself is quite marvellous. It’s just that the Witcher is in a different league, and I know I’m so weak-willed I won’t be able to choose the Gem in order to spare the Bisterne from getting beaten up by constant use. It’s a two-grand reel, and its unique history makes it irreplaceable, but it’s simply too good to keep in a cabinet. Alas!

I went to Breamore on the Hampshire Avon yesterday, hoping to find a chub or two (I caught nothing, but it was stunningly beautiful out there in the frost and wraithlike river mist), and I took the Aerial Gem. Its performance was faultless, but I still kept wishing I’d taken the Bisterne instead. When you catch as few fish as I do, the pleasure of using tackle for its own sake becomes disproportionately important.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Cough Splutter!!!!! :o :o Just clocked your listing on fleabay and promptly had chest pains it was a major wallet attack!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starting at £450 with a buy it now of £650!!

Good grief!! The Gem was Richards entry level reel.......... Anyone want to buy a twelve spoke Perfection?? an Snip at £25,00000000.......... :D:P

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Console yourself, Alan. Who are we to argue with market forces? They say a thing is worth whatever a person will pay for it.

There was one on ebay a few month back and it went for £255 but then not long after one went for just under £700

In any case, I shan't complain if it fails to sell.

Edited by MikeT

Thankfully I have a couple of Carters a six spoke Avon and a twelve spoke Perfection both of which are valueless as they are engraved with my name on the back of them as having been presented to me....unless I become famous...............!

However I suspect that infamy is more likely to be my lot :rolleyes:

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Cough Splutter!!!!! :o :o Just clocked your listing on fleabay and promptly had chest pains it was a major wallet attack!!!!!!!!!!!!

:o calm down cock........deep breaths..............deep breaths...................... you'll be alright in the morning :lol:;)

I'll have to be I'm supposed to be fishing the Douggie with you :D

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

They say a thing is worth whatever a person will pay for it.

Very true, I think the no quibble refund is a good idea and will provide some assurance for enthusiasts who make the connection with your purchase a few weeks ago. I'm always a bit wary of desirable items for sale to to "lack of use", it's a bit like moving on the Mona Lisa because you don't look at it often enough. If bidders know they can return the reel if they're not happy then they ought to be confident that there's nothing wrong with it.

Fingers crossed.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back