cod

North East Fisher

Hi cooky, I don't know what the fishing in the north east is like or any of the marks but I imagine it's ok. Anyway me and my mate who is a very good angler we fish the welsh side of the bristol channel and I can tell you that the best marks we have fished so far down here are Cardiff foreshore, Sully Island and now Aberthaw (tackle graveyard). Out of these marks Sully Island is my favorite because there have been some nice big cod caught here this here and when the cod arrive it is hectic.The downside is that the best spot on the island (monkey pole) is usually crowded and can only be fished as the tide ebbs and about 2hrs into the flood.The rods my mate uses are zziplex 3500, zziplex 3500's and a greys apollo all fantastic fishing rods from what I've seen and I'm about to get a Supercast X but I'm an eggwhisker.Rigs are pulley, and up and over clipped down with the srt springs for the deeper venues.Bait is lug,rag and squid,we've caught most of our cod this year on squid.There not as many cod this year as last as everyone knows but the fish are bigger it seems.If you ever fish down here there are loads of other cod marks (we are spoilt for choice).I Just read your post about the greys apollo and trust me they are really powerful and excellent for cod fishing and nice to look at too.Adios for now.

Cheers!

Darren

Hiya Cooky, First off ,welcome to A.N. Well, I/We fish mainly the East Coast of Scotland, particularly Buckhaven in Fife where I am a member of a large club and have a fishing hut there and also keep my wee boat there. Also fish around Arbroath , mainly Usan, for Arbroath I use 4/0 mustad on a single clipped dropper with rotten bottom cause of the kelp. Bait is mainly rag/suid/mussel cocktail. Rod is a Moonraker, with a penn multiplier, distance isnt needed. For Buckhaven, a mustad 2/0 hook , single dropper(clipped) Sometimes a wee hook tied right at the bottom (for Blennies if in a comp.) Same rod but with a 7ht to get out to the kelp beds. Similar baits but mainly Rag or riggart as they call it in Fife. In fact we are off on Sunday to Arbroath for a comp. Wish me luck, my mate got a 15lber in the same comp last year but lost it when trying to land it in a horrific swell.

Hope this helps

cheers

Norrie :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Cooky.

If I`m fishing the Bristol chanell it has to be a big lug and squid cocktail fisned on at least a 5/0 pennel.

However the South coast is more of a big squid bait? Well my last cod was caught on that off the Isle of Wight. That was in 01 !!! I`m sure I could have targetted them and caught a few. But as I mainly fish from Weymouth now, it just didn`t seem worth the effort. We`ve got loads of 4lb whiting?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!