Angling Uniforms.

Peter Waller

The Loraine Kelly show, if that is the right name, was on ITV yesterday morning. Some magazine was searching out a model man in a uniform. The girl friends of potential models were invited to send in pictures of their men, in uniform.

Nearly wet myself! There amongst the pictures of firemen, prison warders, tree surgeons, lifeboatmen, traffic wardens et al, was a picture of a carpy, in uniform, complete with regulation carp for heavens sakes!!!!!!

This girl must have a real sense of humour! I mean, why else send in a picture of her carpy boyfriend? Good picture too! Nice fish and, in complete contrast to 'normal' carpy trophy shots, the bloke had a big grin on his face. Great to see!

Gone are the days of a pork-pie hat and filthy boiler suits. Then we had the action man paramilitary look. Now we have the rugged U.S. duck shooter look. Funny old game, this uniform lark.

[ 05. May 2004, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

theres always been uniforms of sort i reckon pete. the old pike angling uniform used to be waxed cotton of some description. admittedly part of this was down to neccessity but there was always someone who would use it year round!

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

"the bloke had a big grin on his face. Great to see!"

someone surely must have doctored the photoe - surely?

[ 05. May 2004, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: awaaar ]

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Dear Peter,

Barbel Police; Long black coat real leather or waxed cotton, must be full length and be one size too small. Wears hat that really belongs on American cowboy or Australian Bush Ranger. Hunter wellies or those water proof leather boot thingmies, sometimes jack boots. Trout anglers waitcoat. Moleskin or cordroy trousers. Slicked down hair razor parting and combed to one side. Small under the nose black moustache. Wooden rod with centerpin or fixed spool long out of date. Often seen "goose stepping" along river banks telling all and sundry how they should fish. (always only in a style they approve of) Uniform wearer also known as the "Cuckoo Comrades" as they usually ply their fishing in someone elses pitches. They know very little about barbel or how to catch them. Very rarely catch any big barbel as they refuse to adopt more effective baits or methods. Barbel Police are ALWAYS to be found along river banks known to have thrown up big fish. To others by the way not them.

Regards,

Lee.

You paint a magical picture Lee! But do these charecters really exist?

Piking has its very own chief superintendant of piking police, but he is known to have caught a record or two, and to wear Daiwa jackets. Some would regard him as having earened his rank!

Cuckoo comrades, don't you just love them? Lovely term, describes more than one piker! Cuckoo Williams for one!! Nice ring about it.

Dear Peter,

Of course these characters don't exist if you read the "Cuckoo Comrades Times" which is of course any platform they can nest within as they don’t actually build their own nests.

But out there in "Realbigfish Land", they are real enough. Catch a big fish yourself and publicise it. Bobs your uncle, and Billie’s a banana you won't get to fish that pitch again. Or worse!!

Fish alone and tell no one where. Or do what we do now on the Trent. Me and a mate are that Friesian cow that never moves away from the rivers edge. Wink wink.

Regards,

Lee.

No need to worry about cattle on the stretches of Trent I fish on.Tends to be arable land.

Mind you ,you do need to be careful what you step in especially when the manure has been spread. Bullsh*t gets everywhere.

DF