SVC in Wisconsin - Bruno

phonebush

Phone - best thing to do with a PDF is just what you did, a link.

If they do have it up there (and sounds likely) then it has probably spread into the Mississippi River and will spread into all the feeder rivers/streams and the huge number of lakes the water gets into with spring floods. That will pretty much most of the water between the Appalacian Mountains in the east to the Rocky mountains in the west.

Not sure if the normal water flow would mean problems in the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence River or not.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks, Phone. The pdf file read perfectly.

The news should disturb anyone who fishes for or who has an interest in carp or other members of your 'minnow' family of fish. If it IS confirmed as SVC, the State guys will have to either instigate a scorched earth policy - which would be terrible given the potential for it to spread via fish AND water - or chuck in their hand and wait for it to spread through the Mid-West. If it does get into the Missippii, you will have a BIG national problem which will persist and have profound implications.

It would be a personal bummer for me (does than translate OK?) as one of my personal ambitions is to catch a 30-pounder off the jetty in front on the Uni. in Madison in Lake Mendota (or is it the other one, Monona - I get them confused)? I've caught small-mouthed bass there (1979) and, elsewhere on the lake, lots of carp to about 16lb (1993), but I know from reports of spawning aggregations that 30lb+ carp are present.

Fingers crossed.

BTW, have you ever fished for the salmon or, indeed, for the carp in Lake Michigan at Port Washington, north of Wilwaukee, where the power plant discharges water alongside the boat dock? It was one of my US failures, but the carp are there (and I saw some mighty salmon caught, to 30lb, in early fall).

[ 14. January 2003, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Bruno,

You have been gone too long. With the advent of more and more carp anglers we no longer search for 30's. 40's are no longer uncommon. We, the Carp Anglers Group are having a tournament in Austin Texas that will be a disappointment if several 50's are not landed. Last years winner was a 53 if memory serves me right.

SVC is not a joke! It will, if confirmed, affect the predator food chain at the most basic level. No cure in site on your end?

Phone

phonebush:

Bruno,

You have been gone too long.  With the advent of more and more carp anglers we no longer search for 30's.  40's are no longer uncommon.  We, the Carp Anglers Group are having a tournament in Austin Texas that will be a disappointment if several 50's are not landed.  Last years winner was a 53 if memory serves me right.

SVC is not a joke!  It will, if confirmed, affect the predator food chain at the most basic level.  No cure in site on your end?

No, Phone, I don't think I am THAT out of date. 40s might not be uncommon on a very small handful of waters, but the Carp Anglers Group website does not cite too many examples of such fish in most states, does it? If I am wrong, I would love to know (by private email, maybe)where there are definite, rod-caught 40s in most of the states I have fished (e.g. California, Nevada, Arizona, Georgia, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia,Tennessee, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Arkansas).

I don't think I even hinted that SVC was a joke, did I? having dealt with quite a number of outbreaks, I know its impact better than most. But - no - there is no sign of a cure.... and i very much doubt that there will be.

(edit note - just cleaned up the extra quotes. No substance changes)

[ 15. January 2003, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Bruno,

Please, no! I didn't mean to imply you thought SVC was a joke. You know American attitudes about carp. Jokes abound here.

I will try to get you a list of lakes where we now regularly catch 40's. I think it is mostly because there are more anglers reporting catches of carp.

It (carp angling) is truly beginning to come into its own albit just in its infantcy. For example, NY consistantly records multiple high 40's low 50's annually.

You might join CAG discussions at carpanglersgroup@yahoogroups.com if you wish. It is an e-mail group.

Phone

PS Several 2-man UK teams and one French team is coming to the Austin TX event in March. We will be very dissapointed if they don't catch one or more 50's apiece.

Bruno Broughton:

No, Phone, I don't think I am THAT out of date. 40s might not be uncommon on a very small handful of waters, but the Carp Anglers Group website does not cite too many examples of such fish in most states, does it? If I am wrong, I would love to know (by private email, maybe)where there are definite, rod-caught 40s in most of the states I have fished (e.g. California, Nevada, Arizona, Georgia, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia,Tennessee, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Arkansas).

Bruno - phone has it right about the larger size of carp now being reported. I don't think the carp have gotten bigger. Just more folks fishing for them and telling about biggguns they caught - and usually with pictures.

Oddly enough (and discussed on here several times) you are more likely to tie into large carp in the Northern states like Wisconsin, New York, Michigan than in the ones with more temperate climates. I still don't understand that one.

As to sending information via private email - LOL - no need to keep the location of bigguns secret over here. Lots more large carp lakes than carpers at this point.

Not to imply we have large ones easily caught everywhere though. My PB is still shy of 20lbs.

[ 15. January 2003, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President