float fishing problems

hector

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Newt means the PVA bags used by carpers to take down a hook bait and some groundbait. The whole lot is put in the bag and cast out, the bag dissolves leaving a hook bait on a mini carpet of groundbait.

If you want to find out what the carpers get up to then read Anglers Mail, there a few pages of sea stuff and then loads of puddle dunking tips and news.

Hiya,

Everyone seems to have missed out on the obvious question, what's the bait???

Big chunky baits will cause tangles no matter what you do, where as slim streamlined baits will keep tangling to a minimum.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

This happens to me too. I solve it similar to winter, but also by casting firmly and gently from the side trying to ensure the hooklength travels in front of the float.

Another potential solution that I've not tried yet is to put a second float stop above the swivel so that float stays a couple of feet above the bullet. I feel this will help the hooklength fly in front of the float instead of flipping over it and then catching on the line.

[ 13. September 2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Lid ]

Hi all

Very interesting about the PVA string

I don't do that much float fishing and what I do is mostly for Wrasse which lets face it doesn't require much finesse!

Would a small inverted bait clip placed just below the drilled bullet so you can clip up the hook length before casting not prevent tangles... or perhaps a foot below the bullet to keep it away from the float and bullet? Probably talking you-know-what but it was just a thought...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

winter:

sounds interesting. please would you keep me informed.

I've got some PVA string in front of me and I'm amazed how strong it is.You've realy got to grip and pull hard to snap it.It was 2£ for 25 meters.Thiis stuffs got my head racing with ideas and as for the bags well as long as your bait is dry they could be used.i'm of to lanzarote soon and the harbours are so sheltered there's no tidal rip. imagine my prawn hook bait (dried in the sun) sitting on the bottom among a hand full of freebies , Fantastic.