starting a pressur group.

Guest jay_con

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait for the Drew report, shortly to be published.

(After a lot of questions being asked by MPs etc, following letters from SACN members and other anglers, making various claims for the value of recreational angling to the UK economy, mainly based on regional studies and extrapolating from USA figures, DEFRA commissioned a report from Drew Associates.

Although the Prime Minister's Strategy Unit report on UK fishing valued Recreational Sea Angling in

England and Wales as at least £1billion (with 2 million people going sea angling at least once in 2002, the Drew report will have a lot more breakdown of the figures eg by region, by shore/boat, by social class etc etc etc)

Keep an eye on http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest and we'll post links there as soon as they become available.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

thanks leon.

how representative is this study leon. im not aware of anyone around here taking part in such a survey.

Ill keep an eye on the site.

winter:

how representative is this study leon.

I believe that several thousand households were individually surveyed.

Several hundred anglers were surveyed (at angling locations and by post to some members of angling clubs)

Angling business were surveyed.

And a number of locations were studied.

Previous studies were also examined.

The report itself will contain more detail of the methodology used, numbers surveyed etc.

The organisation carrying out the study have a website at http://www.drewassociates.co.uk (this project mentioned at http://www.drewassociates.co.uk/project6.htm )

Tight Lines - leon

[ 24. June 2004, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Guest jay_con

ive asaked them about the representativness of the survey. iam a serving comitte memberof my angling club and i know members of the charter boat committe, and neither have been approached. a friend of mine says he was aware of part of the survey being done in hull( some forum he said). If theyve missed whitby out then this survey will not be representative as we have the largest charter fleet on the coast, and this stretch of coastline is one of the most heavily populated by cod rock anglers.

Whitby was one of the four contrasting study locations :)

With 2 million recreational sea anglers (according to the PMSU), it would be difficult to come across one of the thousands interviewed.

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Guest jay_con

contrasting study locations? what does that mean leon? :D:P

i know most anglers from my town. were a very tight nit community

winter:

contrasting study locations? what does that mean leon? :D:P

i know most anglers from my town. were a very tight nit community

Best wait for the publication of the report, all should be explained.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Guest jay_con

got a reply from drew associates if anyones interested:

The study was a piece of economic research to measure the economic impact of recreational sea angling. You should ask Defra for the rationale for commissioning this work but as we see it they did so in order to inform policy making. As you may be aware, the European Commission in its last review of fishing policy undertook to consult with and take account of “all stakeholders”. Therefore, since recreational sea angling bodies are now part of the formal consultation process, national governments and the EC need to be aware of their impact.

The results have been presented to Defra and once Ministerial clearance is obtained the report will be published on their website. We understand this is likely to be soon but you should ask them for a more definitive response.

We undertook 4 surveys and the postal and face-to-face surveys of anglers was based on a random sample of clubs and 400 club members and 1000 interviews of anglers actually fishing. The latter covered the whole coastline of England and Wales and around 68 anglers were interviewed while fishing along the North East coast. It was not targeted at any one species. We asked anglers what species they had caught over the previous 12 months and what species they were targeting. Bass fishing was not targeted and, from memory, cod fishing was well represented amongst respondents. The report should give a breakdown.

With regards,

Clare Shorney

Drew Associates Limited

The Old Rectory

Littleton Drew

Wiltshire SN14 7NA

Tel: +44 1249 782760

Fax: +44 1249 783154

Email: headoffice@drewassociates.co.uk

www.drewassociates.co.uk