Rod for beach and rocks

HarryM

I am looking for a rod for Cornish beach and rock fishing.

At my age (late 60s) I want something that doesn't need a lot of grunt and performs well with simple casting technique. But it also should be powerful enough to cope with rocks, weeds, etc. This is probably a contradiction in terms!

I'm not sure which length to go for - 12', 12' 6", or 13'. My current rod is a Daiwa Bass 11' 6", so the 12' doesn't seem much of a step up. The ranges I have been considering are the Daiwa Supercast, Abu Suveran, or Penn Surfblasters, but there may be others I have overlooked.

I thought it might be a good idea to see if I could get some opinions before I start prowling the tackle shops. Has anybody any suggestions?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only comment on the Daiwa Supercasts as I have used a pair for a few years now. My verdict is that they are bl00dy superb, light as a feather, nice action and reasonably priced.

A Daiwa rod matched with an Abu reel is a very hard setup to top in my opinion. :)

They are the 13ft'ers by the way.

[ 10. August 2005, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Sharkbyte ]

I used the Greys Apollo M2 13' on Saturday for the first time, it was kindly given to our sea angling club by Greys to try for a year.

I was using it from the rocks casting out into the sand - teamed with my ABU 6500, what a performer ... "a superb rod". It says 6oz on it, but I started of with a 4oz lead ... I was getting a decent enough cast with it, but felt it was itching for a heavier lead to get out there, so I stuck on the recommended 6oz, I was getting a fantastic cast with it, almost double I was getting with the 4oz with a good bit of power behind the cast.

Lots of power in the rod, and was great for pulling the fish up over 15 foot of jaggy rocks below me with the full force of waves from the Atlantic crashing against them.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Summer - its a long story, short version of it - I was very very impressed with their Greys Pirker and how it handled pirks of various sizes in different conditions, and told them so, I dont think there is another rod around for handling pirks the way it does ... so the shop up here that stocks Greys were asked to give us the Apollo to try for the year, along with a 20 lb rod.

For me they are great value for money ... great performers, and of course the unconditional lifetime warrenty!

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

MainBassMan,

I think the Penn INXS has been discontinued. In the catalogue I have they only list PTT, Surfblaster, and PowerStix surf rods.

I read somewhere that the PTT rods are the most suitable Penn rods for rough ground, and I had thought of the 13' 4" Viper. A hefty price though! Anyone used one?

What about the Shimano rods? I would have to buy over the internet sight unseen, as nobody stocks Shimano in this neck of the woods because of their minimum order policy.

I am thinking of the Antares, or possibly the Beastmasters. Anyone any opinions on them, especially the Antares?

Macky - thanks for the info on the Penns.