roach fishing

barney66

when fishing for roach which bait and methford would you use to get the better ones i think bread in winter on the bottom hemp and tars in summer does any one think driffent or not

On my local river i have caught quite a few decent roach when chubbing with bread flake and feeding liquidised bread. And thats with quite heavy gear aswell. Eg size 8 hook 4ib hooklink. Funny thing is if i target them i cant catch them for toffee. I would certainly say bread is a good winter bait for them, though maggots are always worth useing aswell. Another thing i have had luck with in the past is sucking a extra strong mint and putting the bread in my mouth for a moment to absorb the mint flavour then put it on the hook. Sounds daft but its worth a go.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Caster and hemp is the classic way round here the roach do love the crunch of a caster

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Try adding spicy flavours to your ground-baits and make up some different pastes. I find mustard flavoured paste is a good winter bait for roach.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

OI OI,

Andy would you just spread the mustard on the bread like a sandwitch then use as is ?

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Basically yes..... ;)

Originally posted by Andy Macfarlane:

Simple paste:

Take 2 slices of day old white bread and make a sandwich with the flavouring of your choice. I've used cheese, jam, marmalade, preserves, just tried mustard and it works well, meat spreads, fish pastes, marmite, bovril, honey, golden syrup, molasses, liquidised sweetcorn etc. etc.

Put the sandwich in the blender and blitz at full speed until the sandwich has been broken down into a loose/dryish crumb.

Now add any other additives you wish to include. Not too much mind. A little squirt of 'Van Den Eynde Liquid Corn' for instance goes a long way.

Check the crumb. It should be slightly moist to the touch and it should be forming a loose dough.

Now beat an egg and introduce that to you mixture a little at a time. Half an egg should be enough. The egg simply acts as a binder.

Now add any food colouring you wish. Red and yellow seem to be pretty universal.

Take the mixture and put it in a sandwich bag. Knot it and leave it somewhere warm overnight to 'mature'.

In the morning you should have a paste resembling play-dough. You should be able to mould it quite easily. Take a pinch and roll it on the palm of your hand. It should form a stiff ball without much fuss.

Stick it on a hook and cast.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

OI OI,

Thank's andy im working on it m8ty.

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Another paste tip:

Take the spring out of a push-button pen and cut it to the length of your chosen hook's shank. Slip the spring onto the hook-shank before tying your hook-length. The spring simply gives the paste something to mould onto, so you can happily cast without fear of the paste disintegrating, especially with long casts.

You can also attach a length of spring to the hook with a hair. Now you can fish a ball of paste without masking the hook, which makes it ideal for species known for blowing baits, like those fat, bloated carp things.

You can also mould paste round your weight, feeder, boilie...whatever. When you make a paste, try making up different sized offerings, mould some round your chosen weights etc. and then test them in cold water to time the breakdown rate. If you want the paste to last longer, add more oil to the mix. If you want the paste to break down immediately, just use egg a a binder. Different mixes will break down at different rates so it's worth experimenting.

If you have kids, get them involved too. Kids love 'play-dough' and you could keep them occupied while they make your lovely baits. Give them the sweet flavoured pastes and a few different dyes to make up and you can make the boring fish-flavoured baits.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...