Penn 535

Gillies

I'm wondering what kind of experiences people have had of the Penn 535 range of reels?

When they first came out I thought they were great preformers!!!!! easy to use, very rugged, and had an excellent feel about them. I had two of them ... and used them mainly for drift fishing from the boat, and rock fishing. After a year though, one of them started to slowly crumble inside and not function correctly .... then the other one, one day just refused to go into free spool and let line out.

Maybe I did not maintain and care for them as good as I could, but six other people I know whom owned them had similar problems after a year ... and they just gave up using them. It seems like it is a case of great on the outside, and seriously lacking on the inside regarding its quality, which is a shame. Or, its a reel designed for occasional use?

Older Penn reels like 4/0 etc were great in ever way, and built to last ... so Ive no idea what happened to the poor 535.

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

This is a post I didn't want to read!

I just bought a 535 GS there about three months ago and have found it excellent - in fact it is the first time I have used a multiplier for beachcasting and it has been a revelation. I did have a good look inside seeing as how multipliers are quite technical (understatement of the year) and thought it looked well built. Equally I have used Penn for years and have an old Senator that works as well as the day it was bought 20 years ago... did you buy yours from a reputable dealer?

There are lots of companies in places like SE China now producing knock-offs with near perfect precision of "quality branded consumer goods"... and there are always people willing to sell them. Maybe Penn could have a look at your reel for you given it has diminished in performance so quickly? Is Neil MacKellow still working for them, as you might email him at his site...

FWIW...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

I have not heard of too many problems with them, but if any reel is left with a build up of salt, then the user deserves to have problems with it. I had mine for about 3 years, without a problem and sold it when I got the 535 Mag. I had no problems, but I do look after most of my gear as regarding the cleaning and servicing of them.

I got one of the 535 reels from (I think) it was a well known tackle dealer that you always see at the back of the Sea Angler magazine, the other one (which I think was a GS - is that the adjusted version with a slightly slower retreive designed for uptide fishing????) well I got that one as a prize for a boat angling competition.

I have sent one of them away to Penn through my local tackle shop in May/June ... and am still waiting for it to return.

Possibly the 535 in my opinion is just more prone to wear and tear in excessive use, than say an ABU 7000 ... looking inside both reels and comparing them, I think the 7000 is built to last and serve an angler extremely well for many years (my first 6600LD in exception), where as the 535 may require a little more care and maintenace to give it a good life span.

Also, maybe as a shore only reel the 535 will serve very well, but in my expeirences for usage 3-4 times a month over a season for boat competitions and fun trips .... it could not handle it, and needed more care and attention maybe than I was prepared to give it. However I do have a friend whom looked after his very very well, fishing same amount as me, and his packed in, whereas the other owners whom have been owners of 535 over the years I would guess they looked after theres the same amount as me.

To use I found the 535 a dream - nicely designed, comfortable, smooth drag, good retrieve .... just a pitty that it wasn't made a we bit tougher.

Gillies

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Yep, I agree about the problem of Salt, especially when your fishing in rough seas and the reel is constantly get getting covered in sea water. That is a problem Ive always been concious about, so always taken measures to get rid of the salt build up, by giving the reel a good cleaning afterwards.

I have to admit, I've been tempted to try the 525 mag or 535 mag for rock fishing.

Gillies

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

I had two 535's. The only problem I had was the weight of them for beach casting and control for overruns. Penns have/had a high reputation for quality of build and the 535 was especially built to resist ingress of water. I have heard of "snide" Penns and I'm inclined to agree that maybe you were unlucky enough to have bought a "pup" Just a thought. :confused:

Enfield North London

The 525mag is an exellent reel for beachcasting, casts like a 6500 with the retrieve of a slosh.

I've had two since their launch and have totally abused them including three of four seasons uptiding on the boat for Tope when the reels stay rigged up on the boat for six monthes at a time.They started to sound a bit rough at the start of this season so a tournament casting friend of mine serviced them and replaced three bearings now the're running sweet as a nut again.

There was a story of some tackle dealers aquiring some penns very cheap off the docks if true there's every possibility these are "snide" reels because I've heard of anglers having serious problems with Penn reels. Having said that I don't think you will see the same tough quality build that was used on the old reels due to manufacturing costs and the fact noboby seems to over engineer anything these days.

Topecatcher has got it in one, it's all about maximising profits and minimising costs so either way the angler gets screwed. Saying that, the 525 and 535GS are only £70 which in tackle terms, isn't alot of cash and if you wash them they will last you ages. Some of the larger Abu's are £130, so you could nearly get two for the price of an Abu. My 535Mag only gets occasional useage as I have a silly amount of reels, but it's as bombproof as you are going to get. You can't have everything, big reel, good line capaity, great casting etc...... The 535s spool is very heavy if you top it right up with line, so it's best to keep it 4-5mm under the lip. I really only use mine for really heavy ground and off the cliffs, for everything else I use Abu 7500C3CT's. The new(ish) Daiwa SL30SHXV is good for casting regarding its size, but I don't think that would last long if it wasn't looked after properly.

Ive had my 535 since last Christmas and I like its feel and casting abilities. I use the reel for heavy shorefishing loaded with 30lb line straight through and was thinking of getting a

525 as well for general beach use, but in light of the comments on here I may leave it another year or two until I see how the 535 holds out.

Pricewise the 535 is certainly good value. Mine cost just under £60 locally, which is around half the price of an ABU 7500. I just hope that mine is as durable as my 7500.

On a similar note, has anyone had experience of the Penn GTI range of reels? I bought my 310GTI as a recon two years ago for £40. It has been used for dinghy fishing up to two or three times

a week,in season, and has performed faultlessly.

Yeah they are fine, My old man has a 330 and a 340 and I have a 340, but have out used it a couple of times. Decent reel, but rarely get used as I stick to my lighter gear for most of my boat fishing.