me agin for pike lol sorry

swanyboii

haloo again sorry to keep asking.errmmmm well insted of spinning i do have quite alot of spinners. but i was thinking of like bite alrms are thay prittyyyy easy to st up and riggup? i know useing a dead bait with a weight on a runner and the dead bait on a hook legh on a swivval. dats the only rigg know and do you know a good cheap bite alrm and how to set one up and possbaliy a rigg please . because i really want to get into pike but for jacks and perch ive herd that spinners pluggs and jerk baits are best thak you for your time people.....

Hi Swanyboii, glad to see those who were once glad to pick the brains of ANers themselves a year or two ago have not put you off asking questions!

Right, lure fishing can be great fun, and you are less likely to have a pike swallow a lure than you are with a deadbait. That link that I gave you for the PAC tells you how to set things up for deadbaiting. But really you do need to go along with someone who can help you for your first trip.

With bite alarms, there are plenty of good cheap ones from Shakespeare and Ron Thompson, you will also need some form of drop back indicator. Pike often pick up a bait and swim towards you, hence the need for a drop back indicator. You really do need a practical demonstration.

In the meantime, if I were you, I'd stick to lures fished slowly and out in open water rather than round the margins. Personally I rarely fish with deadbaits now, lures work for me in the winter, and I've had plenty!!

Make sure that you have long forceps, and even a small pair of bolt crops, for unhooking pike. B&Q used to do excellent mini bolt crops for about ten pounds, your local branch might still sell them. Sometimes you have to cut the hooks into smaller bits to get them out!

If you don't have the gear for unhooking then don't go pike fishing! If you don't have wire traces then don't go pike fishing. You'll never forgive yourself if you kill a pike because you didn't have the right gear.

Edited by Peter Waller

Make sure that you have long forceps, and even a small pair of bolt crops, for unhooking pike. B&Q do excellent bolt crops for about ten pounds. Sometimes you have to cut the hooks into smaller bits to get them out!

Hi peter, i was wondering what you mean by bolt crops. As when i think of bolt croppers i think of something very big and heavy to cut bolts. Do you mean something like this.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Fair comment, Lutra. No, the link that you have provided is not what I had in mind. I have searched the B&Q site but MINI bolt crops don't appear to be on their lists now. Shame, the mini bolt crops that they DID supply are ideal.

These look the absolute doggies doo-dars though, click on:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INDUSTRIAL-8-HEAVY-D...bayphotohosting

Edited by Peter Waller

Fair comment, Lutra. No, the link that you have provided is not what I had in mind. I have searched the B&Q site but MINI bolt crops don't appear to be on their lists now. Shame, the mini bolt crops that they DID supply are ideal.

These look the absolute doggies doo-dars though, click on:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INDUSTRIAL-8-HEAVY-D...bayphotohosting

Thanks for that Peter, thats made it clear whats needed and some change from a tenner. :)

Brian.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Hi Swanyboii, glad to see those who were once glad to pick the brains of ANers themselves a year or two ago have not put you off asking questions!

Right, lure fishing can be great fun, and you are less likely to have a pike swallow a lure than you are with a deadbait. That link that I gave you for the PAC tells you how to set things up for deadbaiting. But really you do need to go along with someone who can help you for your first trip.

With bite alarms, there are plenty of good cheap ones from Shakespeare and Ron Thompson, you will also need some form of drop back indicator. Pike often pick up a bait and swim towards you, hence the need for a drop back indicator. You really do need a practical demonstration.

In the meantime, if I were you, I'd stick to lures fished slowly and out in open water rather than round the margins. Personally I rarely fish with deadbaits now, lures work for me in the winter, and I've had plenty!!

Make sure that you have long forceps, and even a small pair of bolt crops, for unhooking pike. B&Q used to do excellent mini bolt crops for about ten pounds, your local branch might still sell them. Sometimes you have to cut the hooks into smaller bits to get them out!

If you don't have the gear for unhooking then don't go pike fishing! If you don't have wire traces then don't go pike fishing. You'll never forgive yourself if you kill a pike because you didn't have the right gear.

can i say peter you have been a great help mate and thnx for everything i dont suppose you could teelll me more about what pike go for and coulors of laure .. wahts better like spoons jiggs spinners or or the dipper lure please mate

I am going to lock the original topic since it has mostly wandered far off the topic of how to fish for pike.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

can i say peter you have been a great help mate and thnx for everything i dont suppose you could teelll me more about what pike go for and coulors of laure .. wahts better like spoons jiggs spinners or or the dipper lure please mate

I must say first of all i am not a Pike angler and therefore my on experience is limited, however i know one thing and that is Pike anglers have lots of lures in lots of types so i guess that the style and shape and colour required varies dependant on the waters that you fish, the conditions, weather, time of year etc.

I one thing i do know is that serious Pike anglers can have huge lure collections, so i guess the choice of lure on any particular day can be very wide and varied, also maybe it's a bit like a habit forming and additive obsession. :D

Here is a site that may help you, it breaks it's products down into, spoons, spinners, soft lures, diving rattlers, ultra lite lures and traces, so it may be easier for you to see what you want to start with.

Good luck and start saving your money it looks like you will need deep pockets. :D

http://www.fliesonline.co.uk/erol.html#7317X0

PS, This may also help you.

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Lures-t948036.html

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Hi Swanyboii. You are asking the million dollar question there! Lets put it this way, if I were coming down to your local water, which I don't know, I would bring with me some small, natural coloured plugs like the Shakespeare Big S. Fox do some pork chop shaped mini jerks, I make my own, and I find them to be great. Once again natural colours but also pinks and orange. I would also have some spoons, brass and silver, about three or four inches long. Shallow running spinners in brass score well for me in shallow waters. The Heddon Meadow Mouse has also done wonders for me over the years. I have greater faith in pink/purple colours than I do in yellows and reds, and I know of friends who have reached the same conclusions. I would also take along a selection of split tail, soft bodied 'grubz' and shads. These I buy un-rigged and rig my own way but you can buy them from Daiwa and Storm. Your question deserves far longer than a few lines but I have to get off to work!

I always knew you were a nice bloke Peter. I like this version better..... ;)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...