West coast of Scotland this weekend .....

Andy MacBog

Hi Folks,

I was going to try somewhere around Fort William this weekend, for my first time away from the east coast!

I was wondering if any kind soul could give me a pointer on where to try, or will the usual suspects be fishing well enough at the moment (like the pier at Corpach)?

I do have my eye on L. Creran though I suspect it will have had quite a dose of freshwater in the past week. I would really love to catch a spurdog ... but anything other than a dab would do!

My thanks in advance for any pointers ... if you don't mind?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Have you caught much from Corpach before?

You may wish to try the long-stay carpark at Fort William. Here it is possible to catch dogs, codling, dabs and there is the chance of a small thornie. Best baits are lug and mackerel. However I'm not sure it will fish too well at the moment what with all the freshwater input, as it is quite shallow. Possibly worth a try at night.

Directly opposite FW is Camusnagaul. Fish the shingle beach to the right of the ferry hut. Same species as FW with the additions of grey gurnard and scorpion fish.

If you don't mind catching dogs then try the shingle beach at the Corran ferry. Best to fish it 3 hours down to low tide and 3 hours back up again. Also there is an outside chance of a ray here.

If its a spur your after then head to Etive.

Hope this helps.

Rabs spot on, Depending on how keen you are on getting a Spur, then definetly consider Etive, Iether the shallow end ie the church/burn during darkness, or the deeper parts up past banawe quarry in daylight. The shallow end of the loch is also throwing up some large thornies just now...

Tight Lines

Shaun

Brilliant,

Thanks a lot Spur-Hound and Saint_1877! I felt a bit cheeky asking but then if you don't ask ......

I have more frozen lug coming up with my girlfriend today, to supplement my emergency supply and a ton of mackerel too so it looks like we are set! And with your excellent instructions in tow too.

Quite excited really .... I like my cod but just to see something more exotic would be good! I'll let you know how we get on!

Thanks again,

Andy

Well, my trousers are firmly in place ... as was my floatation suit ....... you forgot to mention the rain!!!!!!!

We fished for a few hours at Ballachulish and I got a couple of good bites at the start of the flood, that I soon turned into snagged leads! But we shall be back! The time we did not spend fishing was good too as we drove about and went for a few walks checking out other marks that I had heard of.

Its amazingly deep in L. Leven too, compared to what I am used to.

I can tell already that I am going to enjoy re-exploring the west coast with a fishing rod!

Thanks again for all your help folks!

Andy