80lb on a 50 class

Byrdthefisherman

It should be no problem, i use the same outfits here in Portugal.

Remember any knots weaken the line anyway, and your clutch will slip before you damage your rod or reel.

As Dave said, should be no problem provided you are using a decent reel with a high capacity. Due to the exponential cost of good line and large reels, we now tend to drop down a size in reel and main line and add a top shot of 200m of the heavier stuff. ie, TLD 50/2 with 400m 50lb and then 200m 80lb.

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.

Usually it's not a problem but set the drag for the reel class and not the mono to save drag washer burn out.

Quite a few anglers use a braid backing and a long mono leader 100yrds plus - though the reels should be capable of landing the type of species that your targeting.

I've seen some big threshers caught 250lb+ which can nearly strip 400m of 80lb line from a reel.

Hiya, Dont see a problem with it, I use 100lb braid on a Penn International 50,coupled with a Conoflex 50lb class rod.....and my TLD 25 has 80lb on it..... :D

[ 03. May 2005, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/