River severn near welshpool?

david t

Hello,

Ive just asked the same question on the flyfishing forum, but i know thats not as active as this section.

Could anyone tell me which angling clubs run the fishing rightts to the severn around welshpool area?

Id love to fish it for grayling or chub, looks like a real nice river, and a little less "raw" and harsh than the wye, which is also within distance for me.

Ah also, if there is somebody reading this that lives within close distance of the severn, would you be able to let me contact you before I plan to go fishing? I ask this as it would be best if i could find out if the river is flooded this way, rather than making a wasted journey.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by david t

Hi Dave.

Montgomery AA control one stretch just outside the town, think the place is called Lower Leighton.

The joining stretch downstream of the road bridge is Warrington Anglers.

Im sure there is another day ticket stretch close by, £3 on the bank if i remember correctly.

These are good barbel and chub stretches although im sure there are grayling there too.

If you go on the Warrington Anglers website there are details of a few of their other Severn stretches, upstream of Welshpool where the river becomes alot more game orientated (Newtown and up), These may be better if your specifically targetting Grayling.

Warrington have got alot of good grayling waters if your prepared to travel just a little bit further. My local river, the Welsh Dee, held the Grayling fishing world championships not long ago, which says something.

Unfortunately I dont live close enough to the river to tell you any levels but the River Severn thread in the river reports section of www.barbel.co.uk regularly gets updated with river levels. Think thats as much information as you may get with the levels other than looking at the bridgenorth and shrewsbury river webcams and judging what the river will be like 25 miles further up!

Cheers Mate

Iwill check them out, warrington anglers. Sounds ok.

I have found out that Birmingham anglers have a few strecthes of river around welshpool area and below. They cost 30 quid a year, which isnt bad, considering the amount of water they have. But im unsure how busy their stretches are, being a big club? Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

Yes the Birmingham card does seem very good value, and I beleive that the majority of their river fishing members fish between Shrewsbury and Worcester where the barbel are more prolific in numbers.

Not too say that the Welshpool waters are devoid of barbel, but it seems that fishing for them here is more of a challenge which may often pay off with a bigger fish.

Id very much doubt that you'd find all pegs taken on their welshpool stretches, even on a Sunday in the summer. Best thing to do though would be to go and have a look before you join, although I suppose its a bit of a trek for you.

Keep an eye on that barbel.co.uk thread and you should get an idea of the areas that are fished most. I think most people posting on there are BAA members anyway but i may be wrong.

Cheers mate

Im going to take a look at the river tommorow, Im going to print of directions for a few of the BAA strecthes, and also going to find the tackle shop in welshpool, go and ask them what the crack is. I think that will be the best plan, they might also sell day tickets, so I can have a quick try before I get the permit.

Fish Im mainly concerned with is grayling, then chub and dace. wouldnt mind a few river pike though. I used to do a hell of alot of chub fishing, but since moving to aberystwyth, there are no chub, so although i love the sea trout, trout, bass fishing etc, Id love to give the chub fishing a go again.

Cheers

Dave

yep sounds like a good plan that mate.

If you really fancy a grayling day let me know and il point you in the direction of a local tributary where ive caught 30+ grayling averaging 1lb in a day.

Also, let me know how you get on as I fancy a trip to Welshpool soon.

Cheers

Cheers mate

Went down to welshpool yesterday, It was mainly to have a look at the place, check a few of BAAs stretches out and talk to somebody local. I had a go on a day ticket strecth of montgomery angling water, for £3, didnt catch, mainly as I only had time to fish for 3 hours, but also because there was extra water in the river by the look of it. Really, as I said it was primarily a trip to have a look at the river properly, walk a few stretches rather than a serious fishing trip.

If you do know of a stretch that is good for grayling then I would be interested, but dont feel you have to tell me about your hard earned secret spots unless you want to.

Cheers

Dave

The river Lugg used to suport a decent head of trout and gayling. Not sure what it's like these days but it might be worth an exploritory.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Unlucky mate hope you enjoyed your day though.

Its not a hard rule, but i have a few times read and experienced that if there is anything more than a tinge of colour in the water, you will struggle to catch grayling. I would in times like yesterday, target the barbel and chub with meat or pellets over hemp.

The severn, like my local the welsh Dee are drained from the welsh hills, which as we know have some of the highest rainfall levels in the country. It can get frustrating waiting for low and clear conditions to target grayling. I think the last time conditions were right was the beginning of October.

If you go again and the river is up, but you really want to catch grayling, look for small tributary streams, which will clear alot quicker and should give excellent sport.

I dont know of any particularly good swims, but ive heard reports of the free stretch in Newtown being great for stick float fishing for dace, chub and grayling. also caersws near the bridge ive heard can throw up 3lbers.

Keep me updated.

Hi David,

I live about fifteen minutes from that Welshpool stretch and have been fishing it after the elusive barbel.

They are there but take some finding.

The whole length of the Severn from Welshpool to Newtown fascinates me and is very lightly fished.

Stick with it, you may be pleasantly surprised with what can turn up!

All the best.