River severn near welshpool?

david t

That's 36 posts you've made in 8.5 years now, Mr. Pope. You're turning into a right spammer :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Cheers Lads,

Yes there was a little colour in the water when I tried for the grayling. Its difficult, as I guess it would need to have not rained for at least 3 days for the river to be clear. The river drains plynlimon and surrounding hills, which I can see from aberystwyth, and its rare for there to be no rain up there for 3 days, rarer still for it to coincide with me having free time.

Thats why im thinking more of the Severn too, as opposed to the Wye, as I have to travel further to reach coarse fish on the Wye than I do the Severn. So if the river is a little high, I can fish for chub or dace, but still not travel much more than an hour.

I have though about the lugg, but its almost on the limit of my travel range, about 1 1/2 hour plus drive.

Cheers

Dave

• 4 years later...
Hello,

Ive just asked the same question on the flyfishing forum, but i know thats not as active as this section.

Could anyone tell me which angling clubs run the fishing rightts to the severn around welshpool area?

Id love to fish it for grayling or chub, looks like a real nice river, and a little less "raw" and harsh than the wye, which is also within distance for me.

Ah also, if there is somebody reading this that lives within close distance of the severn, would you be able to let me contact you before I plan to go fishing? I ask this as it would be best if i could find out if the river is flooded this way, rather than making a wasted journey.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave.....I know this is an old thread but only just seen it!!!

I've fished around Welshpool since 1967....I've been a long time member of a Wirral based club with waters at Berriew which is about 5 miles outside Welshpool going towards Newtown.

The waters have very good Grayling, big Chub and some very big Barbel..also good Brown Trout.

If you want any details let me know.

Frank

Hi Frank and welcome to Anglers' Net. Solid info about good fishing is always welcome no matter how old the original topic is.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Frank and welcome to Anglers' Net. Solid info about good fishing is always welcome no matter how old the original topic is.

Thanks Newt........that area of the Severn around Welshpool has some good fish in it and is very under fished in these days of commercials !!

Frank

Like Steve said the fish take some finding. I fished the river for over 15 yrs from March to October and got to know a stretch very well. In over 1.5m of river only 3 swims regularly held big chub. As for Barbel I or a friend only caught from 4 swims none of which ever produced again. I only knew of 4 swims holding grayling 2 of which were very patchy and only small fish showed. How I now wish I weighed some of them I caught. Years later fishing there we caught a fish of 1lb. Some of the earlier fish must have been 2.5lb+

There are otters in the river to.

Like Steve said the fish take some finding. I fished the river for over 15 yrs from March to October and got to know a stretch very well. In over 1.5m of river only 3 swims regularly held big chub. As for Barbel I or a friend only caught from 4 swims none of which ever produced again. I only knew of 4 swims holding grayling 2 of which were very patchy and only small fish showed. How I now wish I weighed some of them I caught. Years later fishing there we caught a fish of 1lb. Some of the earlier fish must have been 2.5lb+

There are otters in the river to.

Hi Grumpy.....The river around Newtown to Welshpool varies a lot and when one stretch is up and unfishable, another nearby could well be ok.

It all depends on the topography of the river and the state of the water of course....1 metre above and rising is a very different river to 1 metre above and falling.

I've fished the river for about 45 years in all seasons...much changed now of course....a 2 to 3lb Chub was a good fish in years gone by and the Dace shoals were enormous!!

These days the Dace are few and far between but the Chub and Barbel are big now.....5lb+ Chub are the norm and the Barbel run big.....last year a club member had one of 15lb...biggest I've had is 9lb14oz....others have come out around 13 and 14lb mark.

There are some good Grayling and Trout in that area as well.....and we even had a Sea Trout (about 3lb I think it was) taken many years ago on a colorado spoon and verified by the then NRA.

It's a lovely part of the Severn and most of the time you have it to yourself these days as most are fishin commercials and wouldn't know how to fish a river :D

Frank