Boat noise as a fish attractor?

bob@reefcatfishing

We do trolling for tuna, bonito, dolphin fish etc... in Malta and sounds from engine seems to help a lot in trolling.

We notice that also the path of bubbles left by the proppellors are of great importance.

We notice different catches when we use 2 engines and when we use only one engine

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awrata:

We notice different catches when we use 2 engines and when we use only one engine

Welcome to AN, Awrata!

If this phenomenon is so common, has anyone thought of using "teasers" like they use for trolling big game fish, to run in the tide to summon up pollack? Maybe use a big ball weight to get the teaser down....

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

I've never done any downrigger fishing, but its something that I want to have a go at for next year. I don't think downriggers have been used very much in the UK, but I can't see why they wouldn't work. In fact I'm sure that trolling a rapala above some rough rocky ground would be dynamite when the bass are aound.

I do use teasers for surface fish, as you say Awrata the bubble trail left by the teasers and the engine noise, seems to attract the surface feeding predators.

This year we tried another attractor, its a 2 foot length of 4in. by 2 in. painted in bright colours, and half the surface is covered in mirrors. Its dragged behind the boat and wobbles and spins around, the sunlight on the mirrors makes it look your being followed by a fleet of ambulances. I was very sceptical when I first saw it, but far from frightening the fish, it does seem to attract them.