20lb Pike on coaching session

Waveney One

That's a great story, congratulations to both of you! That first photo really does show the size of it doesn't it. I've been fishing for pike (on and off) for around 15 years and I've never had a 20 either. Maybe I should book a day with you!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks Guys, it was a great fish - but lucky of course. I certainly don't hold myself out to be a pike guide, fish like that are very rare and the pressure to get a customer a run, yet alone a big fish wouldn't suit me at all.

By the way Barry comes from Southend and no - he didn't give me a tip, not even a cup of tea in the cafe when he was recovering. I am sure the reason for that was that he was a little stunned by the whole thing but I still haven't heard a dicky bird from him and I want to send him the photo's. Maybe he thinks it was all a dream!!

By the way Angly, is that a Speedia you have as your avatar? I have 2 that my father left me and occasionally I get them out to fish the small river here. He also left me a Hardy 'Silex Jewel' the latter having jewelled bearings. I use it once a year, Boxing Day, with his split cane Mark IV carp rod to do a little bit of livebaiting for old times sake.

Edited by Waveney One

By the way Angly, is that a Speedia you have as your avatar? I have 2 that my father left me and occasionally I get them out to fish the small river here. He also left me a Hardy 'Silex Jewel' the latter having jewelled bearings. I use it once a year, Boxing Day, with his split cane Mark IV carp rod to do a little bit of livebaiting for old times sake.

It is indeed, well spotted.

I wasn't going to get sucked into the centre pin owners club, but a session trotting up on the Little Ouse in Norfolk, and next years AN Barton Court Fish-In finally persuaded me otherwise. After a quick Google and many hours reading up, it had to be a Speedia Deluxe, and the day I decided that, one went up on eBay! It had to be a sign! Not had a chance to use the old girl yet, but looking forward to it no end. I'm up in the King’s Lynn area over X'mas and New Years, so hopefully I'll get some quality sessions in then.

What a lovely thought to use your father’s rod & reel once a year.

Sadly my late father wasn’t a regular angler (I think we went once!), and I often wonder what it might be like having a father to fish with. I just need someone to set-up Rent-a-Dad!

Geoff