Float stops, putting them back

fruitloopy

Like a lot of anglers I never use rubber float stops when I am float fishing except if using a controller float when surface fishing for Carp.

When I am trundling a bait through a swim after Barbel I usually use rubber float stops as leger stops if I'm using small SSG link legers on a plastic bead or very small weights of around the 1/2oz mark, I use one or two float stops depending on the weight Im using and the line thickness.

Contrary to what I thought would happen I rarely get the leads sliding down to the hook on the strike and if I did then I would revert back to proper leger stops. I like uncomplicated end tackle with no unneccesary weaknesses caused by leger stops pinching and flattening the line or unnecessary knots and I only revert to leger stops if I'm using leads of 1oz or more or if I found that the leads were sliding down on the strike.

I also use float stops like Anderoo does ie. to mould tungsten putty around if I need to pin the line to the bottom.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Wouldn't sliding the stop back onto the wire cause friction wear to the inside of the stop thus making it less effective?

I'd have thought so mate but here's a tip, when putting float stops onto your mainline, lubricate the line with a little washing-up liquid. it helps the stop slide up the desired spot without cutting though the stop or causing unnecessary friction damage. Once the line hits the water, the washing up line disperses and the stop locks in place.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I'd have thought so mate but here's a tip, when putting float stops onto your mainline, lubricate the line with a little washing-up liquid. it helps the stop slide up the desired spot without cutting though the stop or causing unnecessary friction damage. Once the line hits the water, the washing up line disperses and the stop locks in place.

Saliva does the same thing Andy. Good tip though, it makes it loads easier to move them to where you want them.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Saliva works but washing-up liquid also serves as a line degreaser, sinking agent.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...