LOCH KEN

rob39

Hi all

Planning a trip up to loch Ken in dumfries and galloway for some roach/bream fishing, anyone got any advice on rods (length, casting weight) line strength, feeder types, hook size, where to fish and ticket prices and where to get tickets, groundbait hookbait advice, how much feed to put in at first and when to top up (summer and winter).

Hi all

Planning a trip up to loch Ken in dumfries and galloway for some roach/bream fishing, anyone got any advice on rods (length, casting weight) line strength, feeder types, hook size, where to fish and ticket prices and where to get tickets, groundbait hookbait advice, how much feed to put in at first and when to top up (summer and winter).

This may help...

http://www.southernuplandway.com/area/attr...tractionid=2737

Rab.

Ive only ever fished it once and that was off some campsite years ago, but i know 1 or 2 lads that have match fished it. I seem to remember one of them making up a rod by getting a 13ft barbel rod and putting a soft tip in it so he could fish maggot feeder at 100yrds+ in deeper water for the roach. I wouldn't start chopping up your barbel rod just yet as this might just be the kind of thing pegged out match anglers that cant move do and from my memory like most big waters it has a lot of different peg types.

I believe the bream fishing has got a little better in the last few years, but i think you will have to wait until spring and things start to get a bit warmer before you will see any great action. Even then you will need to remember its a very big water and the fish will be hard to find. I would try prebaiting a few different spots if you can and keep on the move until you find them. Best of luck.

Brian.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

It was many moons ago last time i fished it & it was in summer but i remember the fishing was very good 100 plus fish a day mostly roach with a few skimmers & hybrids just using maggot feeder i even caught a few jacks on maggot :)

The more i practice the luckier i get :)

Fished Loch Ken for years and was until a short while ago a year book holder for New Galloway club

Its still one of my favourite venues even though the signals have ruined any chance of a good deadbaiting session as has been mentioned above the place is rife with them

Back to the original question and the time of the trip as that dictates where a lot of the fish will be

When exactly in the year do you intend going there

if its bream your after get up-to castle loch near lochmaben A709 dumfriesshire

it absolutely heaving with them i have seen shoals about 300 yards long by 100 yards wide all sizes up-to 14ish lb

and some fairly big carp also big pike

Try here good luck

http://www.fishbritain.co.uk/CoarseFisheri...h/?dom=Scotland

Edited by peterpikefisher

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

if its bream your after get up-to castle loch near lochmaben A709 dumfriesshire

it absolutely heaving with them i have seen shoals about 300 yards long by 100 yards wide all sizes up-to 14ish lb

and some fairly big carp also big pike

Try here good luck

http://www.fishbritain.co.uk/CoarseFisheri...h/?dom=Scotland

Has Martin got you on commission?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

no only met the guy a couple of times about 8 months ago when i took my son down to dormont for a few days fishing

why should i be!!

Edited by peterpikefisher

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Went through my head n'all, I can't see the bream fishing being very good up there in these temp's.