Pike flycasting clinic

argyll

So Argyll I will be tying some pike flies up.What size hook would you recommend and what bs leader. Do you do wire trace?

ps Merry Xmas and hope you get as pi--ed as I am now!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

The hook sizes you see in those patterns above are 4/0 and 5/0 Eagle Claw circle hooks with the exception of the top middle which is a 2/0 Mustad stainless streamer circle, however that was originally tied for tarpon. Please dont use stainless hooks on pike. If you leave a large stainless hook in a pike its almost certainly curtains for the fish. If you're tying from your stock of sea fishing hooks then I recommend Cox and Rawle carbon patterns size 4/0-6/0, or a similar type of fine wire, strong and degradeable hook. If you play around with circle hooks then you'll have to learn to 'high tie' ie all of the material is tied on the top of the hook so as not to mask not just the point but also the bend in the hook.

Wire traces are an absolute must and because of the constant casting it needs to be of a reasonable quality, something like 30lb 49 strand wire would suit. I normally use single strand titanium but if you're just experimenting then its an expensive option.

I'm now going to stuff a turkey and anything else that gets in my way :D

[ 25. December 2004, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Cheers Argyll,really looking forward to fly fishing for pike. Roll on March when I open the van up again at Drummore. Promise to post up any results - even blanks!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A really good day out, met lots of fellow pikers.

Sportfish put on a good show and a few good deals on tackle.

The PFFA stand was there and some of the members travelled down to demonstrate fly tying and patterns.

John Horsey gave an excellent talk on Chew piking as well.

Quite a few people got some good pointers from the instructors as well.

Well done Sportfish!!

Colin