Buzzers

chuby

Ok,have asked this question on another forum,but would like some more views.

would you continue to use buzzers throughout the winter,and if yes,would you still use floating line or would you switch to sinktip or inter.

Had a good 3 hours yesterday on buzzers,only stockies but they were really having it.Have used them before,but with moderate success and have not been that confident of them-until now :D

Thanks

While I do not now tend to fish much thru the winter, in the past I have, and many a time have watched some anglers catching loadsa fish on buzzers right thru the winter, while my own results were much more modest. It turns out that these guys use 'winter buzzers'. These flies are big, chunky carrot shaped lumps, retaining the 'round the bend' buzzer shape, but definately not your normal slim buzzer. Sizes 12 & 10 seem the norm, a lot of them single colour - some bright fluoro ones included - and 'superglued' to get down quick. They are normally fished under an indicator. I have since caught a few troot on them myself, but I have never really persevered with them yet.

I hope this is useful.

Bill

Ian,

'Superglued' means covered in superglue or varnished. Yon girly stuff 'hard as nails' nail varnish is wot I use - a couple of coats and the buzzers go down like bricks! I found that superglue sometimes goes 'milky'(apart from sticking to everything on the bench), and I feel there may be a bit of smell/taste left.

Bill

Many thanks again everyone.

I was using superglue buzzers on Wednesday,black with red cheeks :D .

As i have said before this is my first season back trouting,so all new again to me.Last time i went in earnest was back in the 70's and that was pulling lures on the concreate bowls at Hammersmith

Hi,

I'm really struggling for takes on my local lake at the moment. The trout are (classically) sipping the buzzers from just under the film, and I can't get them to look at any dry fly offerings (grey duster/small midge patterns). Equally, I can't keep a skinny buzzer at the depth they're feeding without pulling it past them. They're quite fussy due to the amount of natural offerings present. They seem to be gorging themselves on the evening hatch and it's getting a bit frustrating.

The only success I have had is by casting to rising fish, but they are surfacing so randomly that it's tiring work!

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so is there anything I could try?

Thanks.