braid main line

comradpoplin

rich:

rich:

As for ring wear, I've yet to see any ring wear on any of my rods or any of my friends rods that also use braid, including that trashy tow-rope stuff!

Depends on how many times you re-cast, if you get my drift :D
Rich, unless you're got poor quality rings, braid will not damage your rings however much you cast. Lure anglers cast and retrieve lures, often heavy ones, continuously. With quality rings wear is never a problem with braid. If you are having problems I'm afraid you need to change the rings.

[ 09. September 2005, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Gibbinson:

I don't like the lack of stretch of braid, nor its poor abrasion resistance.

and I fear that it could lead to an increase in mouth damage.

If I was put in charge of making rules on a fishery, I'd ban the stuff.

Interesting. Would you be banning it because

1) you don't like it yourself

2) you fear (think, wonder if) it could cause damage but don't know for sure

I have to say that I've been using powerpro (30lb to 80lb) almost exclusively for a few years now combined with limber rods to offset some of the lack of stretch. I have not seen an increase in mouth damage with fish I've caught nor have I seen the other "I think" that is often voiced of scales being torn off or body flesh being cut.

Granted, other anglers might get different results but live bait, dead bait, boilies, lures, for a variety of species and I just haven't seen a problem.

When not using braid, I do use some fluorocarbon because it is heavy enough to sink and because while it does stretch more than braid, it is not nearly as bad as mono.

A follow-on question - since it is well documented that mono, after being stretched to nearly the breaking point, is permanently weakened to well below it's rated b/s, if you have to pull for a break due to getting snagged, do you then discard all of the weakened mono to avoid breaking off unexpectedly?

Braid does not have this problem, BTW. If it did not break and wasn't visibly abraded, it retains full strength.

[ 08. September 2005, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Braid on 90% of my reels and No Problems with ring damage. That is on Lure reels, Carp reels and on Salt water reels. The use of Spiderwire for a period of time (3yr.) made me consider what if any damage would occure. After reading and checking for myself, I changed to PowerPro and have never looked back. The 50-80-100lb. PowerePro has never failed me and I fully reccomend it to anyone who is considering the change to a braided line.

HOPPY4

HOPPY

A couple of points following Newt's post:

- there has been a tendency among UK carp anglers to use heavier and heavier rods. Sales of 2.25lb rods are negligible, 3lb is probably near the average. Frankly, I think this trend is daft and unnecessary - but that's what is happening, ask any tackle dealer. Heavy, relatively unyielding rods combined with line with virtually zero stretch.... you figure, as our friends in the USA would say.

- ...."it is well documented that mono, after being stretched to near the breaking point is permanently weakened...." Documented by whom? I carried out a whole load of tests on monos (published four or five years ago in Carpworld as a series of three articles entitled "Mono Multi-Tests"). To my surprise, I found that after being stressed until it actually broke, the stressed mono recovered full strength, or as near as dammit, within about 30 mins. I suspect this has to do with realignment of the molecular structure - but I emphasise that's only an opinion.

- The reason I would ban braid if I ran a fishery is for the reason outlined in my first point: the fear that heavy, unyielding rods combined with non-stretch line would lead to mouth damage - especially where fish are held hard due to the proximity of snags or have to be pulled through weed.

And I say again: many of those who were singing the praises of braid a couple of years ago, have reverted back to mono.

[ 09. September 2005, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Jim Gibbinson ]

If a 3lb rod performs like a 2lb rod with a through action, you have to ask yourself if it is a true 3lb TC. Might be interesting to check. Or am I missing the point?

On which subject, I recently handled a rod that was designated 2.75lb (from an established and highly respected blank/rod manufacturer - though I think their rods are awful), and it was an unmitigated hernia-pole!

well now that that has been debated to death what b/s is best im thinking of 20lb b/s with a 15lb hook length ive allways looked at 30lb + plus as a bit over kill for carp fishing what are your thaughts?

if life treats you wrong just go fishing if life treats you well just go fishing infact, just go fishing

comradpoplin, sorry if you feel your post was hijacked mate but most of the posts work hand in glove so to speak, like balancing things up to work well together

its all down to presentation mate as to what you use and also the fish you are going to be targetting, perhaps you could enlighten us as to your goals?

For general carp angling you are probably wise to use 12/15lb mainline and maybe a 10lb hooklink

then move over to braid and beefier tackle perhaps when you feel the time is right. its your choice at the end of the day

[ 09. September 2005, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

the fishing im doing is for 15lb up to 25lb carp with the chance of 30's as i know they are in the lakes where i fish as for the tactics general ledgering method feeding the basics.

the tackle i have been using is 10lb mono with a 8lb hooklink of course now i feel its time to moveup in the world so its either 15lb braid mainline with a 12lb hooklink or 20lb braid mainlin with a 15lb hooklink whats are your thaughts?

if life treats you wrong just go fishing if life treats you well just go fishing infact, just go fishing