Record Carp!

Elton

Wordbender:

In fact, he's so good that he's due for a rebate on his syntax.

Good lord - you folks will tax anything.

Are some sins (or is that syns? crazy UK spelling anyway) taxed more heavily than others or is it a flat rate like the VAT?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALAN FAWCETT:

I was talking about Aqualate mere (as in Aqualate golf club at Newport)

A fella i was talking to (looks like Des Taylor except he's a ginger nut) reckons there's a 65lb+ mirror in Aqualate.

From what he said it was caught when some bailiffs did a netting session, they never released the info because they didn't want the "circus" coming to town.

I fished Aqualate for a season a few years ago and must confess I never saw a trace of carp and wasn't aware of anybody fishing for them - it was a bream & roach water (with a few pike & tench). From what I've heard since the black plague has done a lot of damage so what it's like now I don't now.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

ALAN FAWCETT:

I was talking about Aqualate mere (as in Aqualate golf club at Newport)

A fella i was talking to (looks like Des Taylor except he's a ginger nut) reckons there's a 65lb+ mirror in Aqualate.

From what he said it was caught when some bailiffs did a netting session, they never released the info because they didn't want the "circus" coming to town.

Alan

I think someone's been pulling your pi--er! The mere is large and very shallow, and netting would be difficult; the bailiffs (keepers) wouldn't know what a 65lb carp looked like, never mind realise its significance; and I'm not up for another wild goose chase. I'm the fella who baited up Gailey Lower Res. with tens of thousands of boilies, acting on supposed good info. about the original carp stock that, a decade down the line, could have reach 40lb+. Even as the only 'carpist' there, I caught sweet f.a. in a year, then gave up. Never even saw a bow-wave, never mind a sighting of a mud-sucker. It was a good move because when the 65 acres were drained a couple of years later, only two carp were recovered... the best a mid double.

As for the 'circus' descending on Aqualate, they'll be leaving quickly or will disappear, never to play the Big Top again. My postman - who also delivers mail to the estate - had a problem with his red van a couple of years ago and, for a day, he was given a yellow replacement. When he ventured onto the estate, as usual, the keepers set off in hot pursuit of this unidentified interloper. It culminated in a car chase around the estate, with postie being followed (so he said) by shotgun gun-toting men hanging off the sides of the pursuit vehicle, Wild West style. When he was finally cornered, he said he was in real fear for his life.

Now, you tell me: what about this swan-eating aligator gar that is supposed to be cruising the River Sow at the back of the Stafford Sainsbury mega-store? The understated clue is there on the council notice "Do not bathe in this river - it is very dangerous."

There again, maybe I know lots more about Mrs mega-carp and am keeping stum. :D

[ 01. September 2002, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

Bruno - best Pic I could get of the gar is a few years old. Should be quite a bit larger by now. As I remember it, a small yapping dog (poodle or yorkie or some such) was used as bait.

aligator-gar.jpg

[ 01. September 2002, 05:19 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Cheers Bruno,

I figured you'd know whether it was true or not.

As for gailey lower i could've told you it was a slab. esox & tinca water mate (from what i heard the carp were all nicked & put into another water "near weston park"

The large fishy in the Sow near sainsbury has got to be old scarback, i'm surprised anyone has heard of her (gotta be female) if i can find it i'll show you a pic i was given years ago by a fella who reckons he saw a moving "tree trunk"!

Scar back is so called due to all the plugs/spinners etc in her back, some have claimed to have caught her but no one i've ever met has or seen her on the bank.

Sam a local character (always had a black due drop hanging of his nose from the snuff) reckons his brother lost his little toe to her, it was his brothers party piece to take of his shoe & sock to show the stump that was left.

Like i said i'll see if i can find the picture & i'll either put it up on here or drop it off at you house on my way to aqualate for this giant carp catching session.

TROGG (Alan)

a government is there to serve its people not rule them