Ultimate Carp Pond But How Can I catch them!!!

TeAl

Ok guys I found a wicked place for carp I have seen them man they are massive!!! It is in Holland and owned by a friend of my mums. The carp are all natural and have never been fished for. Last summer I went there and using worms had no success :( I didn't try that much they did not seem to interested.

Surely these fish can't be wary how would you catch them? Ive never tried carp fishing before, they seem to dwell around an island, there are hundreds, mirror carps also. Please tell me what I need to do next time this summer when I got what breaking strain line do I need ?

Thanks

William

Also, I have been told that if I catch one they would really like it stuffed! How can I kill a fish as big as a carp, I have killed trout etc with priests but a carp doesn't have a flat head and I don't want to damage it. thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TeAl:

Also, I have been told that if I catch one they would really like it stuffed!  How can I kill a fish as big as a carp, I have killed trout etc with priests but a carp doesn't have a flat head and I don't want to damage it.  thanks

IMO you would do better to take a good photograph of the fish and then have a model made up from that.

The cost is about the same, the model will hold up longer than a mount (which will use the skin and there are several parts that are somewhat fragile), and the fish will be there to be caught again.

Most good taxidermy shops these days can do either the actual animal or a model for you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Where to begin is the problem, TeAl??

Perhaps you could start the ball rolling by explaining the extent of your angling experience and the tackle set up you presently have.

If these carp are as big as you claim, then you will obviously need tackle 'man enough' to cope with them.

Also how far away is the island you say they 'dwell'?

You say you tried worms, but what method were you using?

[ 16 March 2002, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: mpbdsnu ]

Ok well my equipment is not up to much... It is 20lb breaking strain line with a fairly cheap rod and reel. I used a float and a hook, with the worms.

I have never tried fishing for carp however I have caught lots of other coarse fish, roach, rudd, bream etc... on Upper Lough Erne in Fermanagh a huge lake if you didn't already know :)

I didn't try baiting the water or anything as last time I only had a short stay there. This lake is about 7 acres with two islands pretty much in the middle. There is a boat which I have access to however I am unsure if it has an anchor. These carp are big 'uns! 30lbs I reckon at least from the ones I saw and I saw lots of them that size. There has not been any fishing on this lake for them and being holland I asume they must be natural, the lake has been there for hundreds of years in fact it had a WWII german plane crash in it, but that is another story!!

Thanks a lot guys!

William

If at all possible mate, you really need to get some baiting up done. Seed such as red band and hemp, with some sweetcorn thrown in for good measure will do, unless you want to try soaking some maize or something like vitalin.

Get this out to where you want to fish - obviously the islands but also look for some snaggy areas.

Also offer some freebies of your chosen bait, whether it be corn, luncheon meat, or you can try boilies! Get them used to looking upon the freebies as food - whatever you choose!

Try ledgering instead of float fishing, but you decide how you are gonna get to your chosen spot!!?? present your bait using a hair rig, and if you have'nt got a baitrunner type reel then don't leave your rods for a second!

The line you have will be fine. but set your clutch a little on the loose side, and alter it as and when needed, when you hopefully hook into one.

if you can fish from the island where you saw all the fish, otherwise, if you can't cast to the island, then row the bait out, using either the baitrunner facility or with the bale arm open.

Hope this helps, others will I'm sure offer different and possibly better advice - i'm trying to do 6 things at once at the moment, so i apologize the fragmented reply.

TeAl:

True true,  if I catch one how long can I keep it in a regular net cause I want to show it to the people.  

You really should avoid putting fish of this size into a keepnet as it's likely to suffer damage (and break your net when you try and lift it!).

What you need is a carp sack which is basically a large bag made of a soft dark free-flow material. This allows you to hold a single large fish in safety and because it's dark it also keeps the fish quiet. You should stake it out in a decent depth of water, particularly if it's a bright or hot day but you shouldn't keep the fish in the sack a minute longer than you have to.

Carp sacks are available relatively cheaply through most good tackle shops, although you may have to go mail order in Ireland because you have no carp and so its unlikely the local shops will stock them. Try http://www.go-fishing.co.uk and look in the Tackle Shops section for a choice of over 100.

Another option you could try of course is to arrange an AnglersNet Fish-in on the venue - I'm sure a few members would be only to pleased to come and help you catch them :D:D:D

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Don`t any water that I fish ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

Another option you could try of course is to arrange an AnglersNet Fish-in on the venue

Sorry but it is private if it was my lake then I would invite you all :) !

My rod and reel are fairly standard, cheapo stuff, what is a hair rig, I presume it must be the way the bait is presented any help would be much apreciated!!

William