Wild trout thin this year?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:All aspects of angling, shooting, classic motor bikes and motor racing.

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the comment Chesters1, it gave me a laugh. The Whitewater has a natural head of brown trout and we are trying to get the levels back to what they were a few years ago, when we did not need to stock this catch and release fishery. Only 60 fish were stocked this year. The one above was an overwintered stockie.

Unfortunately we have landowners that are not inclined to honour our fishing rights, granted many years ago, ie diverting the river to build a bridge without informing the club. This left many fish stranded in pools, chub, dace roach and perch included, along with the trout, easy pickings for herons crows and the mink. 

During the rest of the year from 1st October, while another section is joint use from 16th June, the river is used as a coarse fishery by the Farnborugh & District Club, so any river improvements benefit the coarse fish too. Yes, coarse anglers often complain of trout taking their bread meant for the chub, but I bet they don't complain about the fight they get from a trout. I've had a few 4lb chub from the Whitewater on the fly with a 7ft 3 weight rod and they don't go as hard as a 2 lb trout.

Edited by kenj, 22 May 2018 - 09:57 PM.

#62 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,932 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

Its about time they had introduced fish on a bungy so they spring back to the water they are put in ,i have permission on the opposite bank and for half a mile or so below a local fluff chucking club and i cant see why i have to catch their fish while i am after course fish .
I can get a carrier bag full in an hour even the cat refused to eat them !

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

#63 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:All aspects of angling, shooting, classic motor bikes and motor racing.

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:18 PM

We all know how easy trout are to catch Chesters, that's why we make it difficult for ourselves by using bits of fur and feather instead of bait.

On the coarse fishing front, I was at my coarse fishing club's prize giving tonight. Prize for the best weight in a 5 hour match was for 139 lb of carp from a hole in the ground, that was a good mixed fishery, now it is only carp. Once upon a time, 40 lb of bream, or 30 lb of chub would have been needed to win that cup. Not my idea of fun, but it takes all sorts.

#64 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:45 PM

Due to a damage ankle, I have been unable to fish so far this season, but managed a brief evening visit to a free urban river this week, just as the Mayfly were beginning to show. Only netting one of three wild browns hooked, a beautifully spotted 12 oz wild brown trout took a white Mayfly.

[/url]">http://txN89q5.jpg?1

This was my blog. http://www.urbanfiel...on-urban-river/

Edited by kenj, 15 May 2019 - 08:25 PM.