New Cobra Fish 'n' DiveXF

Starvinmarvin

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not for the purists I guess. Barge it is but stable as can be. I've got the earlier model but for a non kayaker who weighs in at around 18stone it gets me on the water and keeps me there.

Sure there's slap and its slow and the foot wells could do with some modification, but put an electric motor on it and your in business particularly for those times when you are tired and the shore seems a long way away.

The new offering has some flush mounts which will be useful.

Murph

Hi Yakity Yak,

Yeah I guess but maybe I am easily pleased. :D

Plus I have nothing to compare it against - first kayak and first experience of kayaking

Regards

Murph

Kayaking isn't all about stability - in fact, too much stability is dangerous. In a heavy sea that beam is going to get you into trouble, on flat water no problem. Sea kayaks are designed to cut through and the narrower beam Prowler is not unstable, but it does move. A kayak that is so stable that it hardly rocks will not ride a wave well- not like a narrow yak does. Stability is as much to do with centre of gravity as it is with beam - the same applies to a boat. Load distribution is vital too. Your 18 stone sat 2" lower in a narrow beam kayak will be far more stable than you sat up 2" in a wide beam one. In order to compensate for the lackof stability they have had to broaden the beam - bringing all the deficits of a broader kayak with it.

One of the problems is that people expect to stay dry in their kayak -why? You are on a bloody plank in the sea, it is going to be wet, so why does it matter that there is a wet seat? You are wearing waterproofs/dry suits/ wetsuits whatever, so what is a little water going to do? Give me the extra stability of a lower seat height and narrower beam any day.

When the wind is blowing - like it was on Friday/Saturday the difference is you can actually still go out in the narrow beamed kayak - you would never paddle the big one against the wind. Don't take my word for it Murph, go and try a narrower, lower seat kayak and you'll be amazed at the difference.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I have tried Simon but my lack of skill saw me tip more often than I would want. But I might try again now that I have a little more confidence. I have tended to confine my paddling to flat water.

The FnD suits me at present despite the fact that it is slow on the water and cumbersome to move about.

Regards

Murph

Simon.

The guys who have been at this for a bit longer than us, will tell you.

For a begginer or novice paddler, the wider more INITIALLY stable Kayaks are a good start.

For the more experienced paddler the narrower Yaks with SECONDARY stabilility are sometimes.....but not always preffered.

What you say about the centre of gravity is quite right, a higher seating postition does give a Kayak a tippy feeling.

A lower seated position offers a snugger ride and more control in lumpy waters.

I have personal experience of that, while riding the Cobra Navigator I used to own, that had a high centre of gravity.

Stability is a good thing when Kayak Fishing,and not Dangerous as you say, it enables the rider to move about in the Yak freely, a wider beam normaly means more room in the cockpit area, so for the bigger man, this is a major concideration.

A wide beam does mean your paddling efficiency and speed are cut down.

But most of us are out there to fish, not race around in force 6/7 gales getting blown all over the place, and not being able to fish. :)

As was said before, what suits one may not suit another.

yy :)

Gales don't start until 8 - that's why they're called after 8s - they get the wind going :D

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo