Cheap Scupper bungs

***oLLy***

Made these tonight for P13 seat area got them from home brew shop think these are off demijohns

front cockpit ones are smaller so wine bottle ones might fit, these were 80p + old shoe lace, hole was made with heated drill bit

scupperbungs.jpg

[ 14. May 2005, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: ***oLLy*** ]

Excellent idea Olly! I brew my own wine & have got a few corks & bungs lying around that were spare, the two to the left fit my Percepion scooter but I'll need a good bit of rope to fill the hole in the centre. The one on the right is the one you've used I think ? it should fit most Ocean yaks as their scupper holes are wider diameter.

Yes you can get them in Wilkinsons too & a lot cheaper than the £15 I shelled out for mine :mad:

scuppers.jpg

Hi Guys, Olly I hope you dont mind but your picture gave me an idea so I thought i'd use it to show you, theory only at the moment but i'm gonna give it a try at the weekend.

I was thinking along the lines of whats the point of having a scupper bung if your going to drill a hole right through it and make it look like a rubber conker, thats not a dig at you guys thats because the manufactures designed and make them that way, well that was until OK re-designed theirs to look like buckets for action man.

i'll post your piccy to try and show you what I mean.

55mjgm

Excuse the artwork but I hope you get the drift.

1. take a 7mm drill bit depending on the size of your string, drill halfway down verticly through the bung, you might want to mark the halfway point on the bit with some tape if you want to be exact.

2.Tie the string in a loop with enough length to comfortably remove the bung from the scupper hole.

3. with either a pin vice or drill use a 1mm drill bit, drill through the bung horizontally making sure that it is at least 5mm higher than the first hole you drilled.

4. feed the loop of string into the hole at the top of the bung, you might want to use something to force it down there but for g's sake dont use anything sharp and make sure you rest it on a flat stable surface before you do so.

5 take some stainless steel wire and or a stainless steel pin and push it into the one mm hole you drilled, if the string is in the right place the pin should go throught the loop of string and then into the other side of the bung, dont however feed the pin all the wat through as we want to cut it about 5mm shorter than the width of the bung so that we can sink the pin firmly into the rubber without any sharp edges.

Disclaimer.

I take no resonsiblity for the losing of limbs or other body parts, sinking of kayaks or the increase in rubber bung thefts from the nieghbours distilleries.

And above all i'll be B%^&&ered if i'm gonna go out n pay 6 quid for a pair of plastic mini buckets, thanks for the idea Olly .

P.s one other idea my mate Driftwood had is to seal the bottom of the scupper hole with some tape temporarily and fill it with silicon rubber sealant flusht to the top, emmbeding the string in it with either a stop knot or somthing to keep it in there wait for it to cure and again in theory you should have a made to measure scupper bung.

TBC

Excuse the spelling, i'ts my damn dislexic keyborad.

[ 18. May 2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Probably accomplish the same thing with the 'drilled through' design and then coat the string with plenty of silicon after you tie the knot but before you pull the string to snug the knot against the bottom of the bung.

Even then I see the pin as a good safety precaution so you can be really sure the string won't pull out at some point.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've got some spare bungs so I will give it a try only prob I can see is keeping a loop in string to pass wire through,might need to use somthing to keep it open,like the idea about silicon you could use cling film to stop it sticking and use loop and pin to hold it you might be able to match silicon to colour of yak