Lures for light rods & shallow water

Newt

These are proving to be deadly for fishing shallow flats and similar places. At $3 each, it isn't too painful if you lose one but they don't tend to snag very often. Originally designed for redfish, they seem to work well on a large number of different species. Seems that the thumping from the blade combined with the thumping from the tail of the soft plastic just drives the fish a little nuts.

an-yaking-lures.jpg

[ 16. May 2005, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt,

Been looking and reading about these.

Silly question comming up... :D how are they attached to the main line??

I reckon you could make a few up yourself with a little stainless wire and some spoons, shads.?

Have you used them at all, if so, how do they fish for you?

yy :)

YY

- I like to use a swivel and am not really fond of this design (with the open loop) but I have resigned myself to this being here to stay (easier to make I think) so I tie a bit of line below the swivel to make a closed loop.

- I have not used this specific lure but after good results over the years with similar ones and after seeing some results with these, I will be picking up a few from BassPro very soon.

- I really don't think you could buy the bits and make the lures for much less than the cost of these. I do note that pretty much any jig head and soft plastic can go on the unit and that if you have several colors you can change from one to the other in a couple of seconds.

Not sure if you have used any of the soft plastics with that strangely shaped tail but odd as it looks, the action is very effective. Gives off a very subtle high-speed vibration when the lure moves through the water.

If your water is usually somewhat stained, the bright ones (the green and yellow) are probably the best choice. Less stained and I'd go with the white I think.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

that tail shape is quite common in the uk newt, particularly on the fox chubby shads which are quite effective