Wychwood Clothing

Gaz51

I've also got the Sundridge Heavyweight suit and the moon boots to go with it. It's discontinued now but it is very warm the only fault it has is its a one piece and it's not breathable.

Should I be buying another suit now I would buy a two piece breathable as I believe they are a more versatile piece of clothing . The breathable fabric is a must because if you do a lot of walking either along the banks or to your peg you sweat like a pig and then damp off as the moisture and excess heat can't escape from the suit fast enough to cool you off. If you do damp off in your suit in the winter then you go from extreamly hot to freezing cold within about twenty minutes and its not pleasant.

To avoid some of the sweating problems I've just ordered the Wychwood "sleepskin" system only they can't call it sleepskin as that's patented but its the same material. Hooded top and trousers to wear under your suit and reduce your clothing layers cost is £25

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also got the Sundridge Heavyweight suit and the moon boots to go with it. It's discontinued now but it is very warm the only fault it has is its a one piece and it's not breathable.

Another sundridge fan here. I've had a few suits and the old wychwood gear was good. Now the sundridge stuff is much better. I swapped over to a two piece which is far better than the one. Also spend enough to get a breathable one - there's nothing worse than getting soaking wet from sweat after carting your gear half way round the lake.

Rob.

I had the opportunity to buy a sleepskin system seperately.

They wanted £50 for it, you got the top, some leggings and also a fleece type jacket. Now I am aware that there are other branded base layers about for half the price so felt a bit of research was required before handing over the dosh!

I realise the sleepskin is worn next to the skin, what do you wear over it apart from the suit? With my current kit I wear a micro fleece t shirt, sweatshirt, fleece and then the coat. It tends to feel bulky whilst fishing, maybe buying a sleepskin type set up may allow me to shed some layers and make my winter sessions more comfortable.

Nothing!!!! you wont need all those layers believe me. I've been pike fishing when temp has been -3 all day and worn nothing on top of the hoody (hate that word!!!) and not even felt the cold. I agree £50 is steep and I'm currently shopping around to see if I can find a deal. If I find anyone selling them cheaper I'll let you know. I wonder if you told them you don't want the fleece jacket if they'd sell just the sleepskin for sorta £30-35.

I'm off to France in February and need to buy a second sleepskin before I go. Obviously don't want to pay £50 unless I need to but will if I cant find a better deal. Probably sell fleece on ebay @ £15-20 anyway!!!!

Advice:- FWIW "Bite the bullet and buy one, you won't regret it"

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

I'm another fan of the Sundridge Nimbus, that consists of a 2 piece outer and a 2 piece "Sleepskin" inner. This makes it very versatile and allows it to cope with all sorts of temperatures/weather.

Because the waterproof outer is breatheable and unlined it can also be used on wet summer days. Also, being in 2 pieces you could just use the trousers or jacket on their own. You don't therefore have to buy separate summer waterproofs. And being breathable you don't sweat so much in it when carrying your gear to your swim in winter.

It's been discontinued but may still be available at a reduced price from the following if their website is up to date: http://www.climaxtackle.com/sundridge_clearance_deals.htm

doesn't look like it comes we a free sleepskin though and they only have XX large

Should I be buying another suit now I would buy a two piece breathable as I believe they are a more versatile piece of clothing . The breathable fabric is a must because if you do a lot of walking either along the banks or to your peg you sweat like a pig and then damp off as the moisture and excess heat can't escape from the suit fast enough to cool you off. If you do damp off in your suit in the winter then you go from extreamly hot to freezing cold within about twenty minutes and its not pleasant.

To avoid some of the sweating problems I've just ordered the Wychwood "sleepskin" system only they can't call it sleepskin as that's patented but its the same material. Hooded top and trousers to wear under your suit and reduce your clothing layers cost is £25

Keep hearing Wychwood "sleepskin" is identical material to the Sundridge version in which case £25 is a real bargain and I'll be ordering one ASAP. However I'm alway very dubious of cheaper imitations so have you seen or actually handled the Wychwood copy-cat sleepskin to get a true comparison. I KNOW the Sundridge sleepskin does exactly "what is says on the can" because I've got one and it's stood up to everyting I've thrown at it but as for the Wychwood.................................

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

I had the Wychwood undersuit on for a try for size the other day, unfortunatly it was a large and the arms were a touch overlong so I've asked to get me a medium size in. Got to say it for the money it looks and feels good value

As for "sleepskin" that's just the trademark name of the breathable undersuit that Sundridge sell. It's name does'nt bear any relationship to the actual material, all Sundridge do is buy in the cloth and make up the garments. The cloth has been made for years , trouble is I can't remember what they call it, and has been used by mountineers for years for precicely the same reason that we anglers now use it. To keep warm and dry without sweating up.

In much the same way as braid is available in either Dyneema or Spectra fibres the breathable undersuits are also produced by different weavers with the same fibre materials with the end result being breathable cloth.

I have for years always thought that Sundridge have made the best waterproof clothing for anglers but now believe that other manufacturers have caught up with them and some can beat them on price. You only have to look at the prices of Wychwood gear as a whole now to realise that they intend to be a big market player as compared to say six years ago their gear was still good but just out of the price range of most anglers. This is probably the best time to buy their products whilst they are still aggressive in the market place as I'm sure that within a few years when they are more dominant their prices will rise

Excellent post Brian, so much so you've convinced me to go for the Wychwood Rogue outfit.

I have to say I was really impressed with it when I tried it on but reading your endorsement has reinforced my choice.

One other thing, how much was the Wychwood "sleepskin" system? Did it comprise the underkeks and long sleeved top? :huh: