Kayak-fishing pas deux

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Gotta say Newt that you and that Frenzy looked made for each other, did you have a proper foam seat in it or were you just sitting on the hard deck, the seats are really cumfy.

Remember your only as old as the woman you feel!

I made sure I married a yung un!

Starvinmarvin

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newt,

From what I can see in the pictures , you look to be in good shape.

Bear in mind that the Yak you were in was too small for you,(would be for me too) also you had no seat or back support.

Your legs look to be locked together in there.

I wish I knew how to get pictures on here from the Kayak sites, Id show you the size of some bigger riders, they all luuuuuurve it:D

Maybe get you back in one another day, one that fits and suits you.

As Starvin said....made for Yakfishing:D :D:D

YY :)

Newt,

like the other boys say, there's a yak for everyone!...you'd have room for a party on my Malibu two's...and now Ocean Kayak make a Malibu Two XL....not that it's much larger but it's got a great centre hatch for yak fishin (as well as two others)

...Three days ago, off shore a guy came up to me on his frenzy...loved the malibu so much...went straight off and bought one...saw him yeterday out on it!!!...and believe me he's a bigger guy than you! :D

Yakity... love the association idea...i'll be thinking and scribbling on that one...I'll bet Starvin is too (!)...we're both in the design business but he's obviously keepin that quiet! :D:D:D

tite lines, Art

am going out on a Kayak on Sunday morning, and as a beginner, was after a few tips.

Specifically, do people troll lures behind their Kayaks, or just cast them?

Any other tips appreciated.

Am taking the appropriate safety advice, and going in a group, with experienced people etc..

B.A.S.S. member

Grant:

Specifically, do people troll lures behind their Kayaks, or just cast them?

Any other tips appreciated.

As an absolute beginner, I did both but its actually a lot more fiddly to troll as you have to find a way of rigging the rod so it does not get it the way of paddling and you can still watch for takes and strike. Make sure everything it tied in as its easy to drop paddle or rod or both at some point. Also your knife, box of bits etc need either to float or be tied on. We also did drift fishing which depending on wind and current can be like trolling - the yak will be blown by the wind rather than following the current unless you have some sort of drag in the water to slow you down. But what do I know, I've only had my hands on a yak for 9 days, the real experts can give you better advice

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Good advice form Salar there Grant,

keep it simple to start with...and if you catch fish...why make life any more complicated! :)

I tend to troll on the way to a favourite spot...if I hook up I stop and fish a while...sometimes I never make it to the favourite spot! :D:D:D

Main thing is to just enjoy yourself and as for Bass I hooked one 3ft from the bow last year...if they're not lookin at you...they'll run right into you!!! :D:D:D

Be confident and Tight Lines!

Art

Grant,

Just enjoy the experience don't worry about the fish to much, they are a bonus when starting out, use something that you know will work in the area you are fishing, if its mackeral feathers or a dextors wedge then use that, keep it simple.

Getting to know your kayak in safety is the most important, and like Salar said if it's not tied down it will probably go over the side!

Enjoy

Starvinmarvin

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi Grant,

Good luck and have fun on Sunday morning.

The Yaks you are all useing,.....are they sit on top,....or sit inside.

Its nice to know your out with other people, nice to have company while out.

I Doubt if the Yaks are useing, are rigged for fishing,there again ,...I may be wrong.

But just in case they arnt, take along a few bungee cords, wrap these around the Yak as a tempory measure , to stow gear, and attach things to.

Put all you need in a small rucksack, bungee that to the Yak aswell.

When you get your hands on the Yak, imagine sitting in it , and figure where you want your gear, and where you can easeily reach it.

If your in a sit inside Yak, be tidy, dont have Mackerel feathers loose inside the cockpit, for obvious reasons....ouch :D

Be sure to let us all know how you got on.

May have to add to the list:D :D:P

Enjoy, and have a great day.

Pics please.

YY :)

[ 06. August 2004, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak ]

Don't know about pics, but will let you know, and cheers for the advice.

They are sit on ones, and I think the type I have sen links to on this site- will let you know on Monday!

No feathers by the way, purely lure fishing with plugs

B.A.S.S. member