mounting a garmin 140 on a P13.

musket

Some excellent ideas popping up on this thread. If you mount your finder in/on the second cup-holder, on a P13, do you think it best to have the whole thing higher than the drainage groove?

Also, does anyone know of another plastic item that can be used to fit in the cup holder, size wise?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seemed like a good idea to me to seal everything level with the bottom of the drainage groove. Atleast then you can see if there are any puddles of water anywhere. Didn't like the idea of water trapped out of sight in the bottom of the cup holder as this increases the chances of water finding its way through into the hull. Also if you mount the ff on a raised plastic plate, then all the bolt fixings go through this and not through the yak. Only hole in the yak is to route the power cable.

Aidy

Yak: OK P13 (yellow)

Stevo,

A tip I saw somewhere (probably a US site, can't remember) was to use an ice hockey puck.

I've discovered that these are 3" diameter x 1" thick and made of solid vulcanised rubber. The far cupholder on the P13 is just over 3" diameter, so not a perfect fit, but fairly good. I would say that it would be ok if well siliconed in. I'm going to try and get some - they're only about £1 each for the basic black ones.

Hope this helps.

Thanks to Musket, Richi, Shy Tangler and Hake for the ideas here - I have a Lowrance unit comming ( through Darnsarfs mate ) and intend to mount in the cup holder.

The method is becomming clearer with every new post.

:thumbs:

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Hi all,

Very interesting seeing the variations people come up with.

Good luck phooey with your installation-remember to keep looking up once in a while! :)

Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Nice job musket, very neat, like Stevo says probably a good idea to keep every thing high in the cup holder rather than letting the electrical fittings sit in a puddle. The puck idea sounds perfect.

Also be careful if you have an early version of the Prowler 13, the forward cup holder was a little thin on the material side and when fitting on the Prowler Project I decided that it wasn't a feasible option. Worth checking before loading this area.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Re SM's comments about the possible thinness of material in the cupholder.......

a regulation puck weighs 6ozs. So, if to raise the height of the FF you were to join 2 together, you'd have to allow for 12ozs in addition to the weight of the FF.

You can get pucks that weigh only 4oz each I believe....as long as these aren't smaller than the regulation ones these may be a better bet. I'll put up a post when I find a good/cheap supplier.

Thinking about this further, my concern would be that the FF bracket might get broken; they don't seem all that sturdy.

So, how about using a suitably sized "tupperware"type tub ? This would have the advantages of being light (ref potential material thinness on the yak) and having a removeable top (so the Ff bracket would not be so exposed to damage).

Come to think of it, how about siliconing a suitable airtight tub into the first cupholder.....with cap off its much the same as the bare cupholder (just slightly smaller internal diameter), but with cap on its a waterproof bits box.....for hooks, swivels, beads, etc.etc......which would be readily to hand.

I used a Maletesers tub like that and it fittted great ...... until I took it out one time annd promptly lost it....

Now I've got a RAM base mount bolted into the bottom of the cup holder, backed up with ply inside to help take the weight. A little water collects in the bottom but it doesn't leak a drop. As the arm is adjustable I can move the FF around depending on conditions, i.e. sun, spay, rain etc.

Edited by spanner

Maybe stating the obvious but what about a cut down plastic mug/cup, assorted colours to match.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)