DELL QUAY 17 FOOT DORY

sam-cox

Hello Sam. The Dell Quay dory along with all other dories by people like Orkney Boats etc are copies of the American designed "Boston Whaler".

If you want to find out more about the design of these have a look at this web site. Hours of fun reading and some very good examples of how to do up a boat as in the second link.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/cetacea/c...aceaPage51.html

Bob

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies for delay, but I have only just come across your query. The Dell Quay brand have been manufactured by a succession of boat builders, the last I am aware of was Fletcher Sportboats - who brought the 'Rights' from RTK Marine in Poole. The hull and deck were placed in a massive jig and the foam pumped in under high pressure to achieve the correct density - without the jig the hull and deck would be pushed apart. Unfortunately, deck fittings, handrails etc. allowed the ingress of moisture and eventually the foam become saturated, leading to added weight and a subsequent loss in performance. A simple test was to walk around the deck and if there was any give or bulge then avoid that craft. The work you are undertaking will provide bouyancy, but without a jig and commercial foam injectors, you will never achieve equivalent reserve buoyancy and hull rigidity. However, whilst you will never be able to emulate the bouyancy and rigidity of a manufactured craft, I cannot see why you should not be able to provide a safe fishing platform.

we have also glassed in 3 bulk heads and 6 stiffereners. we experimented with unibond foam in the bow section and its worked verry well, its very hard and dense.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

nogger - welcome to AnglersNet. Great first post and thanks.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

sam-cox

As this is my first post here I thought I would bang in some details about me and what I am doing before tapping your experiances.

Most of my fishing in recent years has been done from sailing boats, which does restrict my "range" a bit from the purely fishing angle - I was thinking about getting another boat mainly for fishing, partly to keep the smell of fish away from the Sailing Boat (to make the missus a bit happier!) but also to open up my options a bit with something a lot faster (and give me the "excuse" to dissapear on a fishing trip without the missus wanting to come sailing) - for me 20 knots cruising would give me the range and time I would need to justify this.

Unsurprisingly my budget is somewhat restricted - to the fairly low £000's. I was thinking that a Dory would do the job for me at the right price and assumed that Dell Quay was a fairly good brand (have seen them around for years) but was surprised to read about your problem with the foam core - but thinking about it a bit more, having already had an unfortunate experiance with a Yak dinghy and a harbour I guess I should not be surprised that double skinned boats where the insides are "out of sight out of mind" give trouble!

My question (eventually!) is how did you know that the Foam was saturated? I saw Nogger's post about just walking around on Deck and checking for the deck flexing - Was this basically it? and was it VERY noticebale? or were their any other signs you found?

The reason I ask is that a 17 foot Dell Quay has turned up locally - which I would have probably already gone for - if I had not seen your post.

Replacing the foam sounds like a beggar of a job (to put it mildly!). Having a "heads up" before I start jumping up and down on the guys deck and then trying to work out if any slight movement is important would be helpful......

Having been around boats of various kinds since I was a kid, I kinda feel like I should know the answer to this - but as they say:- "the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!"

Cheers and thanks a lot for any help.

David

Guest stevie cop

Hi David

I'm sure Sam will ba along later, but in the mean time.......

First of all, I would thoroughly recommend a dory as a fishing boat. They are ideal, but you must be aware of a few things before buying one. On any dory, check the transom for cracks, etc, and the floor for spongy patches. Either one may indicate rot in the wood.

If you are looking at a Dell Quay, you absolutely must see that boat on the water. It should sit perfectly straight. If it is leaning to one side at all, suspect the worst.

You would also want to give it a sea trial to see if it's achieving the proper speeds. If the foam is water logged it'll be much heavier than it should be. It'll struggle to get on the plane and it'll never reach it's proper speed. I would imagine a boat like that would have a 50 - 100 hp and should reach speeds of at least 25 knts.

The other worry about the foam being water logged is the extra weight will overload your trailer.

I suppose the only proper way to know for sure is to find out the weight of a new Dell Quay Dory, and then take that one along to a weigh bridge.

Good luck

Guest conger tamer

Hi all

sam,

why not glass in strips of solid foam to make an eggbox formation like ribs in a modern glass hull with a couple of longditudal formers down the centre then place a ply deck sheet on top glass the whole lot in.

super rigid and the sealed eggbox is very buoyant,ive fixed a few boats over the years not done a dory but sorted a shallow draught displacement hull like this and it worked very well its not too heavy too!