Codding in the Solent

richi

Once you have all the gear on (pfd, cag etc) you should be visible enough, and you have your paddle to signal with if push comes to shove, you could even add a thin whip flagpole to stern to advertise where you are mate :) . As for the cod, they are all year round at the mark I have in mind and only 25 mins paddle out!.

I am gonna have to step up the stone dance mate, you are right it isn't working very well! Although I could have got out today from here, it wasn't too bad (I look at the sea all day as part of my job! sounds nice, but frustrating when I have to work, especially when its oily calm :schmoll: ) Will PM you the mark I have in mind when you make 15 posts :yeah: only a few more to go mate :yeah:

SDD~~~~~~ :sun:

Hi Dave I am going to order one in Blaze and hopefully fit it out like the one on Anglers Afloat

Project Prowler.

I will have to get some practice in with the paddle as only been out with canoe and a Double

Kayak half a dozen times before but done lots of rowing in the past, It will be all new really.

I Dont want to end up as fish food so I will have to make sure I can handle it before

I venture out to your Cod Mark with you. I hope I can show you around my area some

time for the Bass I normaly use Sandeel and Bubble float its real good sport but in my

chest waders not in a yak so it will be even better.

The tide run is quit fast whats it like ancoring in a strong run is it OK

Thanks

Geoffd

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave I am going to order one in Blaze and hopefully fit it out like the one on Anglers Afloat

Project Prowler.

I will have to get some practice in with the paddle as only been out with canoe and a Double

Kayak half a dozen times before but done lots of rowing in the past, It will be all new really.

I Dont want to end up as fish food so I will have to make sure I can handle it before

I venture out to your Cod Mark with you. I hope I can show you around my area some

time for the Bass I normaly use Sandeel and Bubble float its real good sport but in my

chest waders not in a yak so it will be even better.

The tide run is quit fast whats it like ancoring in a strong run is it OK

Thanks

Geoffd

Hi Geoffd

Never been out around your haunting grounds on a boat so would be fantastic to have a go! The paddle to my mark is a doddle mate, it's quite sheltered and in decent weather it goes flat calm!. Why not try a paddle on one of the lakes? we have enough of em :lol: Give us a shout and I will come with you (any excuse for a paddle!)

Anchoring in a fast run is NOT recommended, it can pull the yak under (very scary) A drift anchor / sock can be effective, this will slow you without pulling you down, but even these shouldnt be used in too fast / rough seas because if you snag rocks or debris, then this can be very dangerous too. To be honest, I would avoid very fast tidal runs as they can be difficult to paddle against and you could end up further out than you anticipated :( especially until you are used to the yak fully. But with practice, it's amazing what you can do :):):)

Good luck with the purchase and try to post some pics to make the rest of us go ooooh aaahhhh ha ha :lol:

All the best SDD~~~~ :sun:

David,

I am more likely to get out with you for a cod than down in the tropics of Southampton when they have to wait for the icebergs to turn up before the cod arrive! You are a lot closer - we'll have to have that trip we have been promising! It won't be next weekend though, having had this one off I shall have to get some work caught up on - the week is going ot be pants.......

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

David,

I am more likely to get out with you for a cod than down in the tropics of Southampton when they have to wait for the icebergs to turn up before the cod arrive! You are a lot closer - we'll have to have that trip we have been promising! It won't be next weekend though, having had this one off I shall have to get some work caught up on - the week is going ot be pants.......

Yeah, we need to wait for the weather to settle and pounce on the opportunity Simon :yeah: My cod mark is not far to padle and is quite reliable at producing cod nearly all year! Obviously it will fail miserably as soon as you take someone to show em ha ha :yeah::lol:

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

geoffd,

Anchoring in a strong tide is a not advisable, could be very dangerous, most of us find out the hard way with anchoring at slack on a new mark, then the tide starts to run, you try and up anchor... that's when the trouble starts, if you don't succeed with getting the anchor free after a couple of good tugs, cut it free.

Sm :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

There's a big blow forecast for thurs/fri---if it settles down enough for the weekend to fish, it should be Cod City at Browndown :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

There's a big blow forecast for thurs/fri---if it settles down enough for the weekend to fish, it should be Cod City at Browndown :clap2::clap2::clap2:

I can fish Friday night or Saturday up to late evening - let me know the score Codfishing Dude.

:thumbs:

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

I can fish Friday night or Saturday up to late evening - let me know the score Codfishing Dude.

:thumbs:

great news!I'll see if I can get some Cuttle & Lug :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph