Rubber or breathable?

Nicepix

no mention of formula 1 here

The analogy of clothes to wear when driving belongs to David. He suggests that you need the equivalent of F1 safety gear for a tootle round the country lanes on a Sunday, which is a good analogy of my Kayak usage if you read the earlier posts.

Here it is in one of your posts -He as you call him Does not suggest anything he just mentions undies---are you sure you're of sound mind?

I am trying to be patient as you obviously have a problem understanding context. Let me put it simply so even you can absorb the information.

If I used my Yak for prolonged periods in bad conditions:- poor weather, heavy surf, cold temperatures, high wind, etc. I would understand having to wear all the survival stuff. As I don't (as described previously in the thread), then I don't need anything more than something that is comfortable and provide a modicum of protection until I can get ashore, should I dump.

If I used my car to race or rally then I would wear flameproof overalls, multipoint harness, etc, etc. As I don't then I often wear shorts and T-Shirts for local drives, even in cold weather.

I am trying to get through that many of us don't need all the heroic survival equipment for a couple of hours fishing in the bay.

Now do you understand the analogy and the reference to F1? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

:rolleyes:

Regards, Clive

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nicepix - if you want to fish year round regardless of distance from shore conditions etc. you will have to spend money on the right gear for the water temperatures. As others have taken the time out and already mentioned hypothermia sets in fast. You can be a few hundred yards from the shore, in calm conditions and still get into trouble fast when the water temps drop. The shock of being immersed in cold water can get you into trouble before hypothermia has a chance to take hold.

The cheapest way I can of think to be safely dressed for cold water temperatures is to buy a second hand thick neoprene wetsuit suitable for winter use. It may not be that flexible and may chaff skin in places when paddling, you may have to wee yourself if you need to go & you still have to deal with the cold feet issue - but it should buy you enough time to get yourself back on the yak or back to shore when your fishing close in shore.

If you don't wish to fish during times of cold water temps then 3mm farmers johns are a cheap way to go.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Thanks.

I have settled on buying a set of neoprene 'Farmer Johns' as they will provide the best protection without hindering my arm movements. A pair of neprene boots and a Cag jacket will do nicely along with my usual thermals.

I fly fish from the kayak so I don't tend to stray too far from the shore, and choose only to fish in calm conditions. The Macski has a generous and safe hold so I can put extra layers and waterproofs aboard for emergency use. I also have a step arrangement at the stern to aid quick and easy re-entry.

Regards, Clive

if you put a strap around your ankel to make a seal between bottoms of the wetsuit

and your boots tighten it tight, once in your kayak undo them

if you can keep your feet dry you will stay warmer

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

If your fixed on the idea of a 3mm wetsuit, then please get a smooth skin with steamer zip, a zip on a standard long john will allow water to pour in, a standard long john will allow water to sit on the surface of the suit and in cold temperatures will cool your body at an alarming rate even when sat on the kayak, a smoothskin will allow the water to run off therefore the cooling effect will not be as drastic.

I have used various types and styles of wetsuits for various watersports over the past 25 years and from December through to late march I would not recommend venturing into/onto the water in a 3mm double sided suit it just isn't going to protect you, like Simon has already mentioned by the time you have taken a dip it's too late, your body will start to slow and shut down, I have been in this situation when Windsurfing even with a full 5mm Steamer, luckily I was able to hang on and return to the beach quickly enough and immediately got out of my gear and into warm clothes with a warm drink and sat in the car with the heater going until I warmed, it's scary believe me and it happens increadibly fast.

You must always dress for the water temperature, not the surface temperature. Having clothes in your hatch is next to useless, especially if in a moderate swell, the kayak can become swamped, you should never open the hatch at sea.

I may have missed the point here and I'm sorry.

We are just trying to give you the best advice from our own experiences, it's up to you if you want to take it.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Oooppps submitted twice :D

Edited by Starvinmarvin

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Yes I do drive my car in inappropriate clothes should I break down as do most people I would imagine. And I don't wear Formula 1 flameproof overalls and a crash helmet when I drive to the shops either. You are talking ****** if I might say so. I'm afraid all this 'action man' stuff is a little tedious. :rolleyes:

By managing the risks in the car I can get away with wearing a seatbelt and RAC Breakdown cover. Just the same in the Yak. I don't need a RNLI survival suit for a few hours fishing out of Brid' providing I choose the right location, tide and weather, and don't take unnecessary risks.

Looks like Decathalon has the stuff I need. Thanks.

Hey notnicepix :angry: No you may not say I am speaking bo**ocks actually, unless you do so to my face, not hiding behind a forum, what a wimp!. My post was in no way intended to cause offence. I thought it was a light hearted reply and my own views shared in a cheerful (I thought )way. You have obviously blown it out of proportion as nobody else seems to think I was particularly nasty so why the acidic reply?.

But as I see by the reply to some of the others you are clearly after an argument and I will not respond to such rubbish on here. If you really want to tell me I talk Bo**ocks then PM me and I will arrange a meet and we can discuss it.

SDD~~~~ :angry:

Oooppps submitted twice :D

You could probably submit it one hundred times SM and it still wouldn't make a blind bit of difference :headhurt:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph