Cuba - Caya Coca

Elton

ACKOMEISTER

Where were you fishing for the Tarpon? The smaller fish tend to be in the creeks and laggons near the hotels but thre are some huge mothers by the Rocks at Pilar Beach or if tou can fish by the speedboats at night in the chanel by the cause way. Those Cow fish dont half pull butpound for pound Ballyhoo on ultralight geat take some neating, it makes catching bait great fun.

Tony,

yep pilar what a area, we were lucky the one evening to be there when the tarpon were hitting a shoal of sardines we hit into tarpon after tarpon, the runs were electric and when a fish threw the popper another 1 jumped on straight away... paradon is the place the mecca for the big fish. we off to the same resort in june... for the chap who is going you must take braid 60lb plus and a couple of spare spools... the snowbee deep blue tarpon travel rod is a great choice or the shimano travel beastmaster.. they both handled 100lb plus fish... you can catch the bones on light spinning tackle with some prawn.. the best guide is a bloke called donesky...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ACKOMEISTER

I know Doniesky well I caught my first Tarpon on a Fly, fishing with him he is now working with the Paradon Grande fishing tours and fishing out of their, it is also the spot for big bonefish. I am using the Greys Power Popper for the big stuff with 80lb briad on a Penn Fixed spool it handles most of my heavy shore and inshore requirements including dead and Livebaiting with Sardinas Mojarra etc.

I only fish for the bones on the fly as they are relatively easy of Paradon.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

ACKOMEISTER

I know Doniesky well I caught my first Tarpon on a Fly, fishing with him he is now working with the Paradon Grande fishing tours and fishing out of their, it is also the spot for big bonefish. I am using the Greys Power Popper for the big stuff with 80lb briad on a Penn Fixed spool it handles most of my heavy shore and inshore requirements including dead and Livebaiting with Sardinas Mojarra etc.

I only fish for the bones on the fly as they are relatively easy of Paradon.

Tony

I fish the fly aswell. the bones off the hotel beach were easy to catch, shoals of about 50 going up and down the beach most of the day.. i bought shimano4500b from america on ebay, they £90 over here £35 they have a good review for tarpon etc coped easy... the thing is to have drag light for the first run..i had 60lb wire trace only 12" bought from lesley of lutons they were great... i'm going again in june.. the small tarpon wer,nt in the lagoon outside the hotel as the water level was low they had moved on.

ACKOMEISTER

I will not be able to make it this year due to the operation so it will be next spring before I go over again but at least I was there in December, which hotel were you staying at?

The Melia pier went in the hurricane so the best DIY fishing is now to be had at the Causeway Bridge for Pargo etc and the beach outside the ID for the Bones

I looked at the shimano but the line capacity was a bit low for me the 8000 Penn has 300m of 80lb Braid on and I have the same amount of 40lb Braid on the 6000 that I use with my heavy spinning rod as for traces I use wire traces (honestly Andy) in 50, 80, 100 and 150lb breaking strains but next time I am going to experiment with 100lb plus fluorocarbon, which was recommended to me by Canadian Muskie anglers

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

ACKOMEISTER

I will not be able to make oit this year due to the operation so it will be next spring before I go over again but at least I was there in December, which hotel were you staying at?

The Melia pier went in the hurricane so the best DIY fishing is now to be had at the Causeway Bridge for Pargo etc and the beach outside the ID for the Bones

I looked at the shimano but the line capacity was a bit low for me the 8000 Penn has 300m of 80lb Braid on and I have the same amount of 40lb Braid on the 6000 that I use with my heavy spinning rod as for traces I use wire traces (honestly Andy) in 50, 80, 100 and 150lb breaking strains but next time I am going to experiment with 100lb plus fluoro carbon, which was recommended to me by Canadian Muskie anglers

Tony

i stayed at the melia just down from the daiquairi

do you know if the other pier down the beach has gone

The Cojimar pieris still there though it has been roughed up a little nu the problem with it ist does not go out far enough to get into deeper water even at hish tide you will only get a meter or so of water. It can be Ok for catching Needle fish for bait and some Mojarra but nothing big.

I have had Bones off it if high tide concides with a calm sunrise and I have also seen schools of medium size Black Jack as well, but you have to be their early.

Your best bet would be to get a taxi to the causeway

Tony

The Cojimar pieris still there though it has been roughed up a little nu the problem with it ist does not go out far enough to get into deeper water even at hish tide you will only get a meter or so of water. It can be Ok for catching Needle fish for bait and some Mojarra but nothing big.

I have had Bones off it if high tide concides with a calm sunrise and I have also seen schools of medium size Black Jack as well, but you have to be their early.

Your best bet would be to get a taxi to the causeway

when you say causeway do you mean the bridge doen the road????????

when you say causeway do you mean the bridge doen the road????????

Yes that is the one just past the Marina and next to the Speedboat adventure.

Tony

Yes that is the one just past the Marina and next to the Speedboat adventure.

yeah went out on a boat from there for the day, barra after barra better fishing off the rocks....good reports from paradon thats the day trip i will be making this year... did you speak to the entertainment manager phillipe we fished with him regulary he,s one of the day entertainers and dancer... good fisherman.