Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW 2!!!

SeaDooDavid

Hi all

Just thought I would post a note about my experiences with my new (now ex) OK SPTW! Got one recently and checked the handles for bad moulding problems but were ok (Ta Jaffa!) However, took her out a few days later and noticed quite a bit of water inside when I got back (literally a few gallons!)The missus noticed as I lifted the front handle high in the air, that water P*$$*d out of the hole where the rudder mounting is!!. On closer inspection, the inside of the yak was visible through this hole due to bad workmanship. Bournmouth Canoes contacted OK directly and they sent me a new yak within 24hrs!. This one was made (and this appears to be the difference) in New Zealand. The spec is VASTLY superior to the first one I received (checked ever square mm as you can guess!) Very impressed with her, NO leaks, and superbly made!! Apparently it takes 2 days longer to get a NZ made OK, but IMO well worth it! Thanks Jaffa for making me aware of potential problems with OK Yaks! Don't let me put anyone off getting one because thay are fantastic..handle great, stable, fast, loads of storage....just make sure you get a gud un (again thanks Jaffa)...YY got your hatch yet mate?...Regards SDD

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jaffa

Don't think BC are gonna switch suppliers, Johnson Outdoors supply them, and they supply BC and others. The lady from Johnson OD sort of let it slip that the NZ ones are better spec! Thats why she had one sent, because I had problems, and she was confident NZ made yaks are better inspected!. She said the usual "of course very few have problems and are returned" as she would LOL but they were brilliant and no fuss about repair etc, just straight swap, fastest shipping at no cost, and are investigating what caused the other "scuppered" one (sorry couldnt resist that!...groan) to fail!. Couldn't ask more really and I am delighted with the new "up-spec" version. The thing that surprised me is the difference between the two!. Clearly the new one is the latest version with extra "bits" so I suppose it pays to ask which spec you will be getting!. Will post a pic of SPTW2 tomorrow and list the differences that I can notice. As for comparing with a SIK....There is none!!! I am totally hooked on SOT's now, even though I loved my Carolina (there's a Blues song there somewhere LOL) Thanks again for the help mate....SDD :)

Hi SDD,

Wow, sorry about your problems.

Well done Jaffa for pointing out the problem.

Amazing how the specs can vary.

Sounds like Ocean Kayaks need to brush up on thier suppliers quality control, and quickly.

For such a well known, and used brand, to be having this sort of problem isnt good for them , or us, the customers.

Well done to Si and Bournemouth for sorting it though, great after sales service.

Although I still dont have my bl$$dy hatch.

If the one thats sent dosnt fit either, I will not be a happy bunny.

Theres another thing, how on earth can the hatch covers be different ??

Glad you are happy with the new one, is it the same colour scheme (after burner:D )

Look forward to seeing the new pics.

Cheers.

yy :)

FOLKS, when using the drain bung BE CAREFUL - the nylon bung is a lot harder than the surrounding material and if you overtighten it YOU WILL STRIP THE THREAD - I very nearly did this evening but I was going quite slowly and actually FELT the thread loosening, so backed off smartish. I suggest you just tighten the bung down and as it STARTS to stiffen that will do - there is an O ring there and the amount of water that will get past, even if submerged, will be an eggcupful - not worth trying to keep that out for the sake of a stripped bung thread.

I am toyinh with the idea of putting a bit of pTFE tape on the bung thread to help, then it hardly needs to be tighy at all - or a bit more orange gooo would work :D

Good luck yakkers.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Good point Si! I can't see the point of drain plugs really! any water in my hull (washing out etc) I always pump out with hand pump and sponge the last bit!. I normally leave drain plugs alone as long as it doesn't leak!.

YY Sorry to hear that you still havn't sorted the hatch problem! Have you spoken to OK suppliers(Johnson Outdoors)? The lady I spoke to was really helpful, they appear to value their reputation and I think they would sort you out one way or another. Their number is (Johnson Outdoors)01493 745192 (Maxine I spoke to) The hatches may well be different, even in the same model! My new SPTW is VERY different than the last one! Hatches have recesses for the straps and double seals!. Give em a ring you can't lose anything and they may have come accross it before. They seemed very knowledgeable. All the best SDD................ Going out now to take some piccies of my new baby he he!

On the point of the NZ v USA OK's, Artfulfisher has 2 Malibu's one made in the USA the other in NZ, one can be lifted and carried easily by one person, the other is much heavier and needs 2 people to carry, couldn't say which is which but I'm sure he could.

Like SeaDooDavid has said why use the bung, just sponge out any water, anyway either you guys are not sealing your holes very well or your just too heavy for your yaks, the most I've had inside the Caper is a dessert spoon full, but then I am a very light and sedate paddler. :D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Thats ok if you have hatches SM. Neither of my Frenzys do so the bungs have to work. Also its not always just about weight. In the surf the yak gets forced underwater so a fair bit can be driven into the hull.

Like SE I think the quality of the threads is poor and they will fail one day (wonder if its our motorbike backgrounds that make us interested in thread quality! :D ). Its shoddy workmanship IMO :(

My Perception in contrast has well cut threads and an O ring. The hatches are well designed and its always bone dry.

I like the OK yaks for their design but reckon they need to tackle quality control, and should be carefully checked when bought.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Stavin, I haven't had a single drop of water in the hull yet - but then she hasn't seen any waves either. I was just fiddling, like you do.... :D I will be putting a spot of the magic Instant Gasket around it and not touching it again! :D With the huge hatch opening a large amount of water can be let out by just turning the Yak over with the hatch off. Then just sponge the rest - to hell with baling that sounds like hard work! There was a Giant once who was set to work by the Devil to Bale out Dozmery Pool with a leaky limpet shell. He's still at it!

S.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Saw last night that kayakfishinggear in the states are offering the gasket to replace the neoprene cover on the Prowler for $20, might try one if I get fed up with struggling, mind you it seems fine with warm dry hands, might be a bit different after a days fishing.

I'm by no means a Giant but the Devil has definitely had a hand in my job load...a leaky limpet would have probably been of more use than my Apple Mac. :mad:

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com