Reading/Editting RAW files from Nikon D60

Guest Jan V

In reading all the most helpful responses (thank you so much for the time you have spent researching the topic), I have come up with the following:

1) I have a 2 month free trial of the Nikon VIEWNX software. I will load that and see what it does for me.

2) I have downloaded the free Adobe DNG converter and can now load my RAW files into CS2 once converted. This I will play with and see how it goes.

3) After purchasing the Nikon D60 with 2 lenses, the state of the Vail household economy says upgrading to CS4 isn't an option at this time. But I have 2 PC's with CS2 on it and I may upgrade my laptop using the trial version of CS4 and see where that goes. If not happy, I can remove the CS4 and go back to CS2 from my CD. I don't use the CS2 near to it's full capabilities so the cost of the upgrade probably won't give me much "bang for my buck". Were I a pro like some of you, I could see the advantage, but I take pictures to please myself and "digitize the moment".

I will play with my pictures from last night and post a couple later. Even Newt and I can't agree on which ones we like the best. It was dark and I was just moving the settings around and playing so couldn't replicate what I did if my life depended on it. Now I need to play during the day and journal what I am doing so I can experiment and learn.

PS: Thanks, SW, for the consideration of starting another thread for your specific questions. I will be watching that thread, as well.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PS: Thanks, SW, for the consideration of starting another thread for your specific questions. I will be watching that thread, as well.

No problem Jan, looks like I'm not going to get many takers. I'm a tight git, :rolleyes: and refuse to go to Adobe CS programs, like you I take pictures these days to 'please me', so cant justify the cost of pro kit. I dont think there are to many 'Elements' uses on the site?

However, as I want to move into RAW I have to sort it. It looks like the 'RawTherapee' program will be a bit basic for what I want. So I need to consider a new PC? (or does one go to a lap top?) and plug a proper screen in? My computer is 5-6 years old, state of the art in its day, Pentium III is old hat now, and I'm noticing it, it does not always behave its self, and running Elements 7 . . . I havent got a hope! Being draged kicking and screeming in to a new modern world :o I dont like it, I dont like it one bit!

Loads of offers at the mo, makes me think what will be on offer after Chrismas, January sales????

Enjoy your D60, I have been a Nikon man for 20 years and never regreted the brand comitment. Looking forward to you postings on how you get on with the new camera, Hazel will be especial interested, I have just bought her a D40X, I to will be interested in your progress, and how you get on with the RAW saga :thumbs:

SW

Hi Jan, in my opinion your best bet is to pick up a copy of Nikon Capture NX second-hand; as it has now been replaced with NX2 I got my copy for under £20. Capture NX interprets Nikon colour better than the Adobe offerings, honours all the settings you have chosen in camera, and is fine for all minor editing (although is also quite powerful when you learn it's unique tools). If you still need to use CS2 (I often do), then from Capture NX you can open the file as a .tiff in CS2 without losing any quality.

Hope that helps.

Geoff

Hi Jan, in my opinion your best bet is to pick up a copy of Nikon Capture NX second-hand; as it has now been replaced with NX2 I got my copy for under £20. Capture NX interprets Nikon colour better than the Adobe offerings, honours all the settings you have chosen in camera, and is fine for all minor editing (although is also quite powerful when you learn it's unique tools). If you still need to use CS2 (I often do), then from Capture NX you can open the file as a .tiff in CS2 without losing any quality.

Hope that helps.

Where did you get the second-hand version? From a private party or online? I am about to load the Capture NX2 and take it out for a test spin. If NX does what I need, I'm not adverse to removing the NX2 and installing NX

I got my copy from everyone's favourite online auction site, make sure you get an EU version. Many new Nikon's came with NX, which not all buyers needed or used, so there should be plenty of unopened/unregistered copies around.

I couldn't justify the cost of NX2, plus I read some negative comments about performance and compatibility.

I've been SLR digital for about three years now, previously using CS2, and spending ages fiddling (not really sure of what I was doing, which as I'm a perfectionist wasn't very helpful!). I find results from NX 'good to go' for 99% or my needs, and I can batch convert all my shots into smaller jpegs retaining all camera settings for distribution/web viewing.

Geoff

I got my copy from everyone's favourite online auction site, make sure you get an EU version. Many new Nikon's came with NX, which not all buyers needed or used, so there should be plenty of unopened/unregistered copies around.

I couldn't justify the cost of NX2, plus I read some negative comments about performance and compatibility.

I've been SLR digital for about three years now, previously using CS2, and spending ages fiddling (not really sure of what I was doing, which as I'm a perfectionist wasn't very helpful!). I find results from NX 'good to go' for 99% or my needs, and I can batch convert all my shots into smaller jpegs retaining all camera settings for distribution/web viewing.

By "Make sure you get an EU version", are you assuming I live over there? I'm in the US of A. Or does EU mean something other than European in the wonderful world of photography?