Blackwater Estuary

Sheepy

Hi

My Father in law has suggested we pop out for a fishing trip in his dori this summer. He is based on Mersea Island in the Blackwater estuary. However having only ever fished fresh water i wouldnt mind some advice from folks who know a considerable amount more than me. So for a start off i was thinking about lure fishing for Bass (and whatever else will have a go at the lure) as im hoping it would be possble to use my freshwater spinning kit. Is this a reasonable assumption? Then if it is what are the best fish holding areas, what part of the tide to fish and what lures??

So many questions in know but any advice for a complete novice would be great.

Cheers

Hi Sheepy,

My first sea fishing was in the Blackwater but that was many years ago. You need to get more up to date advice but there used to be some good sport with bass near the Power Station outlets, plenty of winter whiting, and in summer mullet were catchable around the marinas and harbour walls. All possible with sturdy freshwater gear!

If you have a dory, try spinning for mackeral in summer. Great fun - watch for clouds of gulls and terns, there might be school bass or mackeral underneath.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

I was bought up on the River Blackwater, my farther ran a charter boat at Bradwell for 20 years.

Lure fishing can produce lots of bass at times.

Try Thirstlit creek, upper and lower collins creek and my favorite Goldhanger creek. These fish all through the tide but at high water in a dory you can get real shallow 1.5 to 3 feet is best. If you look on a chart at gold hanger creek, you will notice at the north east a number of obsticals. These are the remains of a couple of Thames barges. Once covered by water one can lure or bait fish. To lure fish a period of calm wheather coincideing with neap tides is best as the water is then clear.For bait fishing peeler and soft crab rule with rag worm taking more fish but they or often small scoolies.

Still use your spinning rod but use a running link ledger with 2 to 3 foot trace and 1 foot dropper to your waight.For hooks I use 3/0s as it minimalises gut hooked scoolies. Anchor your boat up cast across the tide and let it roll back with the tide.

I could go on and on,,,PM me if you want my number I can give you better advice over thew phone.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Cheers Salar and Sam Cox.

Sam if you could PM me as much advice as you can think of that would be great. I enjoy reading through stuff and researching even if we are not going to be giving it a bash until later in the year.

Many thanks again.

Matt.

Sheepy you do not even have to go that far, the riverside of Cobmarsh island or Old Hall point, basicly the qaurters/entrance to Mersea, plenty of sport, but if you want an added bit of fun early spring... try light spinning for garfish..brilliant sport,especialy where sam mentioned,