e-glass or carbon?

nick allen

A rod please, to suit fishing from a 2.5 metre boat close to the shore for fish that feed over the rocks, around Seaford and Newhaven in East Sussex.

Popular methods include light ledger, livebait, float and lures. I like braided main lines and would prefer to use an Abu 6501 baitcaster reel.

Can any of you experienced sea anglers suggest the perfect rod, something sensitive yet tough enough. I would also appreciate knowing which weight braid I should use.

Hello Nick.

As you state you are fishing close to the shore, I presume the 2.5mtr boat is not a misprint.

I`d recomend one of the small Ugli sticks every time. They don`t cost a lot and have a very good build. I`ve a 15lb Ugli-stick gold, which I`ve yet to realy test. It`s managed wrasse and black-bream to over 4lb with no trouble at all. And forget the 4lb bit, those species at that size can put a serious bend in `pricey rods`.

As for what weight braid. 15lb should allow you to catch almost anything? You just have to watch the drag on your reel.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

nick allen - I gotta agree with spasor. I like the composite (e-glass and carbon) rods and the Ugly Stik is probably the grand daddy of them all but still better than most.

Tough rod and I've never had one fail me but more 'feel' than a pure glass one, even e-glass. They have the glass mostly on the outside so not nearly as delicate as carbon and that's a good thing with all the banging around a boat-used rod gets.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks very much Spasor & Newt, I will have a look for one. 15lb braid will do nicely.

As for the misprint 2.5mtr, You are absolutly right. Its actually a 2.8mtr (Avon 280 Rib with a whopping 4hp motor) it.s very portable. Some anglers have commented on the danger of hooks. But on the up side it is very rocky in front of the cliffs, and with the avon rib it still floats if you puncture one side, Am I crazy?

thanks the rod tip.

regards Nick

You are fine. They are nervous.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 5 years later...

You obviously have to take care with hooks and knives Nick, but otherwise the Avon is a very seworth little craft. As Newt says...they're nervous...don't worry about it mate.