knots and hook up ratio

forrest

I do not get out often enough to test this out and I do not know if it matters that much for carp and I am certain that the hook type matters too: More than once I have read that snelled hook results in a better hook up ratio. Is this true?

forrest

The only time I used snelled hooks is when tying a hair rig and that is with a knotless knot.

For general fishing, I supposed it could but I can't figure out any reason why it would.

We've discussed literally thousands of angling topics and I can't even remember this one being raised before. New discussions are always interesting so thanks for asking.

You should get some solid answers from long time anglers who have used both.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Had to google that one,,,never heard of it before.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Ive never fished with a snell knot, but i do fish with the Knotless Knot and Spade End Knot. I think not only does a knot that is tied round the shank of the hook offer better presentation but better flexibility as well and therefor better hooking potential.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Snell is US speak for a knotless knot. Not used as often as it might be here since mainline to rig is more common than having a separate hooklength.

Based on a little reading, I think I may try using it even if I am not hair rigging and see if it works better for me.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I don't see why knots wouldn't make a difference to hook-up ratios. When making pike traces, I prefer to leave my trebles free to move rather than fixed. Fly anglers use matchstick knots so the fly has more natural movement. Lure anglers often add rings to lures to give the lure more movement, so yes, I would think that knot types do make a difference to hook-up ratios.

Good question Forrest..... :)

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I don't see why knots wouldn't make a difference to hook-up ratios. When making pike traces, I prefer to leave my trebles free to move rather than fixed. Fly anglers use matchstick knots so the fly has more natural movement. Lure anglers often add rings to lures to give the lure more movement, so yes, I would think that knot types do make a difference to hook-up ratios.

Good question Forrest..... :)

what one is it andy ur pretty confusin there.

in general silver fish fishin yes a spade end i do believe is better than an eyed hook for the number of bites anyway. will it work for carp i dont know maybe on heavily fished waters. need give it a try good question.

Having thought about this Snell knot a bit, i think i will be giving it a bit of a go as it could be good when i want a hook with a bit more power than a spade end but don't want to loss the presentation.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I didn't mean any knot in particular Andy. I just meant I thought certain knots could make a difference to hook-up ratios but which knots are better than others, well that's a different question and I don't the answer myself.

You know I prefer to leave my trebles with free movement because a fixed treble has the potential to lever IMPO, just like a matchstick knot knot allows for more natural presentation when fly-fishing and that's also supposed to lower the possibility of leverage so it might be something to look at. The Rapala knot also allows for lure movement and less leverage.

TBH, other than with traces and flies, it's something I've never given much thought but now that the subject has been raised, maybe some experimentation is in order.

I think where small, less animated fish, like roach etc are concerned, it probably makes little difference but larger fish, with more ability to apply pressure and prolong fights etc. it might be a good idea to use knots that allow for movement to prevent leverage...???

This is all just guesswork but it's food for thought and it's a good subject.

Just as a side-note, I also prefer spade-end hooks for silver fishing because it's difficult to hide the eye of a hook inside some baits like casters or maggots, without bursting them open but that's a different thing.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I don't see why knots wouldn't make a difference to hook-up ratios......so yes, I would think that knot types do make a difference to hook-up ratios.

If I had said,

"I don't see why knots would make a difference to hook-up ratios" and then said,

"so yes, I would think that knot types do make a difference to hook-up ratios", that would be contradictory and confusing but that's not what I said.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...