Fish finders

M.P

Cheers everyone. I did turn the fish symbol off when i first got the F/F as i did suspect that it was picking up all the rubbish etc when i used it on the first fishing trip.

I caught 18 small Bass and not once did i get an indication that the fish were there, so i switched the symbol back on and the unit went berserk showing fish everywhere, i quite agree the beebs drove me nuts, so switched the thing off.

Just one other point, do you keep the scrolling switched on or off. I ask this because i find that when at anchor the Fish-finder shows a continuous change of bottom and depth, yet i am standing still?? over a piece of muddy ground that is completely flat, no holes, no dips, no rocks.

Steveo, i am referring to the Lagoon area, so you will know how flat it is.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevie cop

Just turn the thing off when you are at anchor Mick. By the time you drop anchor, it's already done it's job.

One of the most important things on a fish finder is its power output. This can be listed as Peak or RMS on my Lowrace 85 the peak I think is 3000 watt and the RMS 200 so make sure you compare like with like. If a sounder company will not give the power output be carefull it may be very low. Yje mounting of the tranducer is important if you still have problems e0mail me.

I use my finder to show the botom and its structure. I look for the places I would expect to find fish then fish them. If I am fishing for cod pollack I would also expect to see fish. At first use your finder on auto then as confidence builds up try to improve the plot by altering the settings. I have caught fish and see them coming up on the sounder them they have got off and I watched them go back to the bottom.

prp

hi M P.

i;ve got a garmin 80 on my yak and when i first used it i was thinking there are 5 small fish under me ,then on the next drop there they are again and so on. it wasn't until after about 6 or 7 drops that i realized it was my 4 muuets and the lead going down each time(what a t..t i thought and my mate was ******* his self laughing at me as he has used one for years and knew straight away what it was so i'm happy with mine but it does go blank once in a while but only for seconds then its back. cheers yakmad

No good trying it in a bucket! You will get echo bounces in a few inches of water. Don't forget it is an echo sounder. It did well to pick up the jellyfish. Probably a matter of learning how to use it. They sell these things as if they are easy for anyone to use, but this equipment does require a certain amount of skill and knowhow to be effective.

Thanks for the feedback chaps, at least i will persevere with it.

Yakmad, can you really see your Muppet's? if this is the case then mine isn't working properly. I have dangled all sorts of things in front of it including a hooked Bass and nothing shows up on the screen.

M.P - it sounds very much like you have something that isn't right. Could be sonar head placement or adjustments or .....

Some links that offer pretty good general information on using echo sounders / fish finders that may point you in the right direction are below. Best of all would be if you live close enough to someone who is very familiar with them to take a look at yours while on the water.

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/depth-fish-finders.htm

http://www.cannondownriggers.com/site/html...site/topten.htm

http://www.fishfinder-store.com/howfifiwo.html

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President