The Battle for Fish

Leon Roskilly

It was almost amusing, when they interviewed a Representative of the Commercial Fishing Organisations, on the TV last night (I can,t remember his name).

He said in essence, that if they go ahead with the planned cut in quotas, it will be "the death of the Commercial Fisherman in England".

Surely, if they don,t go ahead with the planned cut in quotas, there will be no fish to catch, which will lead to the same result.

It seems that the Commercial Fishing Industry in the UK, must have its days numbered, one way, or the other.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

to qoute a leading supermarket perhaps commercial fishing should use this sale pitch

WHEN ITS GONE ITS GONE

they can then try the deep waters in the atlantic and cause unknown damage; which i believe has now become financially viable surely its a case of the emperors new clothes ; where there just kidding themselves about fish stocks ;will common sense prevail before its to late

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Hmmmm,

an awkward one this; I know when any industry which supports a local community(s) goes to the wall it's hard. In my area we became largely dependent on the oil fabrication yards (Highlands) but with them gone we have survived. Albeit the area isn't as relatively prosperous, but we did adapt, the fishing industry should accept they must too.

I have heard a lot of sentimental rubbish about my father, grandfather.....fished, but wake up folks it doesn't follow that you have a right to trawl the depths with the latest equipment and technology.What about your 'obligation' as fishermen to preserve the stocks for future generations? Or do your 'rights' only go so far as yourselves ie it's self interest? Come greed.

Regards Urquhart

P.S. They do have my sympathies, but their methods clearly are not sustainable.

hembo:

they can then try the deep waters in the atlantic and cause unknown damage; which i believe has now become financially viable

http://www.ices.dk/marineworld/deepseafish.asp

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Originally posted by hembo:

quote:

they can then try the deep waters in the atlantic and cause unknown damage; which i believe has now become financially viable

I still see orange roughy displayed for sale in some local fish shops, despite their being very long lived and probably now closing in on extinction thanks to fishermen and our government scientists seeking non-quota species.

The only thing protecting deep water species is the fact their flesh is "watery". To counter the extreme pressure at their depths, > 400 metres, their muscle is 'pliable' and thus does not give the "firm texture" the poor cod suffers from...

Leon, you might check out an article in the Times recently, may have only been in the Irish edition about foreshore pollution from tyres (anglers collecting peeler crabs) and an idiotic suggestion that anglers were responsible for the decline in crab numbers. Crab is non-quota too so they are being hammered. Some of the biggest new boats in Irish ports are deep water crabbing boats, and all the crab is sold into France etc. and this has been going on for years... now the local inshore guys are at it, again no quotas...

Get rid of the food, and no amount of quotas, days tied in harbour etc. will solve the problem.

When will our friends in the EU view fisheries as one single eco-system and approach it in that fashion. Do the fish know where the borders are!?!

[ 22. December 2003, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Kieran Hanrahan ]

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org