Jersey Sea Fishing Licence

Socksy Squirrel

Guest stevie cop

Results first, licence second. They need to show how they propose to enforce any restrictions, and how effective they can be, before we even dream of agreeing to a licence. (Who are we kidding?)

Of course if this governments previous record is anything to go by, they'll just force the licence on us anyway, and we'll get bugger all in return.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i fish in a estuary close to me for course fish, as it comes under tidal legistration it is the only totaly free place i catch these fish in, if the sea licence does come i wont be able to do this for free anymore..........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

stavey:

i fish in a estuary close to me for course fish, as it comes under tidal legistration it is the only totaly free place i catch these fish in, if the sea licence does come i wont be able to do this for free anymore..........

If you are fishing for coarse fish anywhere (up to 6 miles out!) then you need an EA Licence to do so.

It's not where you fish, it's the species that the EA thinks that you are fishing for that is important.

Fishing for mullet where they mix with roach, I wrote to the Environment Agency to obtain their judgment and this is how they replied:

A Rod Licence is required when fishing for freshwater fish, eels, Salmon or Sea Trout anywhere in England or Wales and out to 6 miles at sea.

Any angler deemed to be fishing for these whether in marine, tidal or freshwater will need to ensure they are licenced for them, whether or not they have caught.

For enforcement, the Agency will consider whether the angler is fishing at a location and with a method liable to catch these species.

If so they will enforce the licence requirement.

Regards

William Fawcett

Environment Agency

Public Enquiries Co-ordinator

Head Office Operations, Executive Office

01454 624411

(The NFSA have negotiated with the EA so that, in effect, any sea angler fishing for eels does not need a licence)

And don't forget that you will need to respect the rivers close season when fishing for freshwater species within an estuary.

If a 'Sea Licence' is ever introduced, then the point has been made that anglers who fish for both freshwater and saltwater species will need one licence to cover both, and that has been taken on board.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 07. May 2005, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi there,

Comments by me in this thread about freshwater licenses apply to Jersey.

We are not under the control of the EA nor the UK government as far as freshwater fishing is concerned.

Most of the coarse fishing in the island takes place in reservoirs controlled by Jersey Water, apart from that there are a few ponds. Members of the coarse fishing club obtain exclusive access to these waters.

Trout fishing takes place in three reservoirs controlled by Jersey Water, membership of this club allows fishing in these waters and the taking of trout. The reservoirs are restocked with fresh trout on a regular basis.

There is as far as I know no game fishing licence in the island and sea trout and salmon caught in coastal waters may be retained or released as you wish.