Clew Bay is alive and well.

Cranfield

Having just returned from 5 days fishing with my friend Jeff and Mary Gavin-Hughes in and around Clew Bay, I am pleased to confirm that reports of its demise are rather premature.

We only devoted one day to Common Skate and didn,t catch one.

However Bull Huss to 15lb and a nice Tope I "dropped" at the boat, more than made up for that.

I prefer the general fishing of the area and reef drifting is my ideal,on my 10lb class 7` rod.

Pollock to 12lb, Ling to 10lb, Coalfish, Cod, Haddock, Dogfish, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse and Red Gurnard all came to baited "Hockeyes" or redgills/jelly worms.

Anchoring in the sandy bays bought Thornback Rays, Blonde Rays, Turbot, Dabs and some of the other species as well.

Amongst the other "exotic" species recorded in our friendle two-man competition for the week were, edible Crab, Octupus and Launce.

The Mackerel were difficult to locate on some days, but when found, quickly provided enough bait for the day, plus lunch.

We saw a lot of porpoises and seals inside and outside of the Bay.

I don,t think the Salmon Netters appreciated their presence.

Mary did recently have a 202lb Common Skate on her boat.

The Captor was Mr Bernard Hoddingan from Galway and the other anglers on the boat were from Chicago.

I will try to post a picture shortly.

We have booked the same week again for next year and can,t wait.

[ 21 July 2002, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Cranfield ]

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Hopefully, this is the picture;

Posted Image

I know which one is Mary, but I don,t "whos who" amongst the anglers, my apologies to them.

[ 21 July 2002, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Cranfield ]

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Hiya,

quote:

Originally posted by Cranfield:

[QB]Hopefully, this is the picture;

You didnt by any chance get the dimentions for the fish or how they worked out the weight of the fish????

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Cranfield,

As you obviously know your way around Clew Bay, would you consider a little write up for me to use on my website? Have a look at http://www.louisburgh-mayo.com and the Angling page. It needs more imput and I just don't have the sea angling experience to improve it. Let me know what you think. I would add that the site is not a money making venture, purely a labour of love.

Colin

Colin Brett:

Cranfield,

As you obviously know your way around Clew Bay, would you consider a little write up for me to use on my website? Have a look at http://www.louisburgh-mayo.com and the Angling page. It needs more imput and I just don't have the sea angling experience to improve it. Let me know what you think. I would add that the site is not a money making venture, purely a labour of love.

Colin

For anyone interested have a look at Cranfield's efforts on my behalf: http://www.louisbutgh-mayo.com

Angling/Sea Angling.

Excellent piece of work that has helped a lot

Many thanks,

Colin

Colin!! Ruddy great!! Just visited and hope to be there in the flesh(Figureitively speaking of course!!) In October for the Boat Competition organised by the rascal who runs the pub (Whose name escapes me for now!!??)

See you there??????

Regards

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

If you gets tuck around Clew Bay in really bad weather, as can happen, try fishing from the deep water pier in Cloghmore Harbour in Achill Sound.

We found loads of sandell milling around the pier and took loads of big shore pollack to 7 lbs (none of the buggers would oblige for a specimen medal!) on big 6/0 hookai red lures. We even had doubles - 14 lbs of pollack on a beachcaster is a bit of fun! The mark has enormous currents, really fast, and the best spot is just short of the whirlpools ... on an ebbing tide! The pollack stay put all day regardless of the tide but for some reason, an ebbing tide seems to work best - we tried worms on the incoming tide - nothing!

FWIW...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Chris Goddard:

Colin!! Ruddy great!! Just visited and hope to be there in the flesh(Figureitively speaking of course!!) In October for the Boat Competition organised by the rascal who runs the pub (Whose name escapes me for now!!??)

See you there??????

Regards

Chris

Which pub Chris? In Louisburgh or Westport?

I think you must mean either Charlie Gaffney in L or Vinnie Keogh at the Helm on Westport Quay. One of the best laughs we've had lately was watching Vinnie serving his lady customers [the Letch].

Colin