fishing in ireland

petergriffiths

Guest Ferret1959

I went last year and the fishing was crap until the last day, weather was ***** too.

I was at Belturbet and can't wait to go back.

Hope you enjoy yourself.

Oh the locals will put you right on where to fish, friendly lot they are.

Even the visitors will advise you.

I have NEVER been to a more friendly place in my life.

But respect them and they will respect you.

Guest Ferret1959

No probs.

If you are going next year give me a shout I WILL come for sure.

There was talk of some of us on here organising a trip out there so could be getting a piggy bank to start saving. :)

Guest Ferret1959

It cost just under £300 each for us, 8 in all and we rented a mini bus and shared the fuel cost as we went along.

Oh and beer and food is optional, I'm not bothered about food.

Hi Peter.Try www.FishingTalkIreland.com,quite a good forum on there.Someone is sure to help.

As i understand,Lough Oughter has been hard going,but not sure of recent catches.Personally we found that info from the pubs(Killeshandra)gave us better info than the tackle shops did.Although we enjoyed The Cavan area,we have found that 'Clare' offers better bream and Hybrids 'as a rule'.

Ferret what area are you thinking of organising a trip to?.At present three/four of us are looking to going back to Clare next May/June.

chuby

Guest Ferret1959

Belturbet would be nice to go back to and the bed and breakfast place look after anglers really well.

Frigde for bait and they will have bait waiting for you when you arrive.

Lock up to store your kit.

We could book the whole B+B if there's enough of us.

The tackle shop is just around the corner which is handy.

But I'm open to suggestions from anyone else with imput.

Peter.Further to my earlier reply.A post on Fishing talk Ireland,re the Erne system 11/8/04,seems to confirm that the bream fishing is really slow.Possibly down to very clear water conditions.Killeykeen producing practically nothing!!!!.

Hope you fare better than reports suggest,perhaps you may do better to fish those lakes not actually conected to the Erne system.

let us know how it goes.

chuby

Hi Peter,

was down that way at the week-end.Five of us fishing 2 rods each for 3 days bivvied up, and sorry to say the fishing was very poor.Fished Lough Inchin and all we managed was about 5 decent bream up to 7lb,a few hybrids and a perch.Water was very clear,but conditions were good,overcast and a nice s/w wind.We came to the conclusion that because there has been a drop in visiting anglers to Ireland,the swims were not being fed constantly,therefore the shoals of bream are more spread out making the fishing patchy.If I were you,I'd stick to one Lough and constantly feed it for the duration of your stay.May give you the best chance of a decent bag.Good luck m8. :D