Left-hand wind multipliers

Jim Gibbinson

Toerag:

They're not for casting, but I believe the Policansky reels can be made LHW and don't have a levelwind.

The trouble with them is that the reel is turned round so that if the reel is a lever drag model, the drag must be worked backwards which means that pushing it away from you releases the drag. As you are turning the handle in the same direction it is a disaster waiting to happen while you are playing a big fish!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Jim Gibbinson:

Anyone aware of left-hand wind light(ish) multipliers? I'm familiar with L.H. versions of ABU's 6500 and 7000 (and I think the former, in particular, is a lovely reel) but both are equipped with a level-wind. Anything similar out there, but without a level-wind?

I think that all Ambassadeur models from 5000 to at least 7000 are made in left hand wind models, but all have the level winds. Personally I have left them on all of those I have. (7 of them) but although I do cast quite a lot with them, I am generally fishing from a boat when I use them.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

The Daiwa Saltiga SA30L fits the bill. However you have to buy from America and they cost about US$400, not too bad with the current exchange rate.

I own a Saltiga 40 and the power, drag and build quality are outstanding and they are a reel that can be loaded with braid to catch very large fish.

Try this review of the slightly narrower SA20

]http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwasaltiga.html

PM me for any more info.

Fladen Reels are at the lower end of the quality stakes ... there rods are good value for the money, I personally couldn't say that about their reels however!

Saltiga and the newer although no left-hooker version at present, the Saltist, are outstanding reels albeit on the heavy side! But when you examine how they are constructed the weight is totally understandable … metal alloy does weight more than composites “ posh word for plastic “ …. They are so smooth you have to use one to appreciate just how smooth I’m on about … they are only equalled by the Abu Morrums for smoothness and I’d say the Saltiga & Saltist have a marginally better clutch then the Morrums and that’s saying something.

The Fladen statement is a bit iffy Seahog, because when you look at the Fladen Maxximus reels you really are looking at something that is as well engineered as anything on the market (they are pretty spectacular IMHO for both sea and fly reels). The range steps down to Warbird (cheaper, but generally excellent quality) then down to the Surf Chieftain, Charter and 860/862 (the last being the lowest end of their multiplier range).

I'd be interested about specific comments on the reels though, obviously we sell a fair amount of the gear and I (genuinely) like to keep tabs on what people think. I've never had one returned to date (faulty or rejected by the customer), and I've personally used several (including the older red version of the 860 multiplier on the left), and had no problems.

By the way, I am not saying (the two above) are the best reels for the job, just that they are excellent value for what they cost which for a left hander wanting a multiplier could be an issue.

Ian W

UK-Fishing-Tackle.co.uk:

obviously we sell a fair amount of the gear and I (genuinely) like to keep tabs on what people think.

Well you can tell them to start selling their nice cheap pirks without treble hooks as the ones on them are utter rubbish!! They are incredibly brittle and tend to come back without all their points on them as they've snapped off at the bend!

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com