Beating sea sickness

Guest Alan Taylor

Guest Alan Taylor

I don't know if this has been posted before but do you have a way of beating sickness?

I take a tablet, some toast and tea. Stay away from the diesel fumes and stay off the booze the night before. It works for me.

The skipper of one boat I go on tells people to lay down for half an hour as this steadies the inner ear. Not sure how much truth there is in it but it seems to work.

Any secret cures out there?? Posted Image

Alan(nl)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Andy - Stockport

The commonest reason I know for sea sickness is the amount of beer the night before. I like a beer as much as the next man - but I do not understand why people have to go at it like it's being banned the next day, when they have a trip booked. On one trip I organised we sailed at six, and two of the lads didn't stop drinking till 5am. They paid £50 to spend eight or nine hours chucking their guts up over the side. WHY??

The best thing I have found is to eat little and often during the day, as long as it isn't strong flavours. And a good mug of vegetable soup not only warms but stabilizes the stomach.

Andy

Guest waterman1013

I always start with a full breakfast; eggs, bacon, sausages, black pudding, beans, bubble and squeak, toast and tea.

Then nibble fruit, mostly bananas, during the day with the occasional lobster, freshly cooked on board. Plenty of tea and avoid the diesel fumes. They are the real killer.

Normally good for an eight, we tend to get in if it is stronger. Posted Image

I am always amazed at the guys who have spent all night drinking then take more with them for the daytime session on board.

Mike

Guest fisherman

I must agree,I always have something to eat before the trip and take plenty of food and keep eating little and often.

Always have some form of drink even if it is only water. Try sucking on boiled sweets, (barley sugar or something )

Did hear somewhere that trying to keep your eyes on land and concentrate on that helps, suppose to help the balance again in the inner ear.

Dave

Guest Ken L

There is an accupoint on the wrist that really does stop this sort of problem. I've used it to stop several mates getting seasick.

A few years ago, a company was marketting som wrist bands that were ment to stimulate the same point. I'm not sure if they are still available or if they work as doing the job manually, but they might be worth a shot.

Alternatly, eat banana and strawberry jam sandwiches and wash them down with sweet honey tea. This wont stop you getting sick, but it will at least taste nice comming up.

Guest Alan Taylor

Originally posted by Ken L:

There is an accupoint on the wrist that really does stop this sort of problem. I've used it to stop several mates getting seasick.

Some realy good tips on this topic but was realy interested in accupoint, where can I find it and what do you do with sticking needles into people? How can I identify and describe it to a accupunteris (?spelling) so he can show me?

I work on a charter boat part time and you could be on the verge of saving a lot of peoples day out.

Alan(nl)

Guest Bretty

Originally posted by Ken L:

If these are the same (wrist band) things you get for car sickness, I'm pretty sure you can buy them in boots or other pharmacies. My mate swears by 'em!!

Motion sickness like this is caused by confusion in the brain. Your balance says your moving but your eyes say your still and vice versa. I've heard people say 'sit in the cabin', 'stare at the horizon' and 'you'll get used to it'.

I haven't been on a boat in years because the

last time was a nightmare. Posted Image

Bretty Posted Image

Guest waterman1013

I had a mate who would get sea sick on the boating pond at Southend. Yet he still insisted on coming out every trip.

Good supply of ground bait though! Posted Image

Guest Ken L

NO NEEDLES NEEDED !!

The point that your looking for is on the palm side of the wrist, about 4 or 5 cm along the main tendon and slightly to the thumb side.

Massage gently with the tip of the index finger for about thirty seconds on easch wrist.

You might feel a prat, but it does work.

If your going to seek advice from an accupuncturist or accupressure expert (which I'd recomend), ask them to show you some good points to counter the headaches and nausea that often go with seasickness.

They will probably show you points on the bridge of the nose, at the base of the scull and at the top of the ear.

These are the ones that I was taught as part of my limited foray into the healing side of the martial arts and I believe they are considered to be safe.

By the way, having slept on it, I've remembered that the wrist band thingies were sold under the "Sea band" name.

Hope this helps.