Tarpon in Bonair

Alan Taylor

I fish abroad a lot and, with the exception of Ireland, never take any tackle with me.

This avoids luggage weight problems, damage or loss in transit and having to carry it about with me (and the suitcases).

You can always borrow, or even buy tackle where you are going.

If you are fishing with a Guide or Charter, then you can hire the equipment.

This also means you are using the right gear, for the fishing you will be doing.

I have fished for bonefish and snook in Bonaire, they are more plentiful than the tarpon ( I hired the flyrod).

The offshore fishing is excellent there and they welcome lone fishermen to make up the boats party.

[ 13. December 2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: Cranfield ]

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

A ten weight rod will suffice where the fish are running on the small side (30-50lb) Above that a twelve weight is essential. A decent large arbor reel with a good drag system is required with enough room for your line and at least 200 yards of 30lb dacron backing (250yds would be better), Tarpon are powerful, initially unstoppable and even a relatively small one will take a lot of line off the reel.Clear floating or intermediate line is needed, tropical variety essential, cool water lines will turn to limp string in the heat and will be almost uncastable. Favoured leaders are 9 feet of fluoro tapered down to 16-20lb. Flies? the locals will advise on whats catching and will no doubt be able to supply them. http://www.sportfish.co.uk can supply a standard pack of the 'usual suspects' but local knowledge of flies will save a whole load of grief and blank sessions.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'