Mackeral & Cod shown on a sounder

wildcard

From time to time I hear that mackeral can't be seen on a sounder or fish finder to give it another name because they have no swim bladders. Here is a pic to dispel this myth which are from my own boat fishing off Saltburn last year. The mackeral are shown as red/blue bands. Sometimes the shoal is so dense that the sounder gives false bottom readings and the screen goes totally red (a red out). This shoal was over 8 miles long.

Capture08-09-2008-075949.jpg

Here is one of cod feeding on the bottom taken on the same day.

Capture11-08-2008-191027.jpg

wildcard

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Depends on what frequency the sounder is operating on.

The only two transducer frequencies I know are 50mhz and 200mhz.

Mackeral would only be feeding in relatively shallow depths of less than 600ft I would think so 200mhz is the only one I know for shallower water or do you know of others?.

I don't suppose you would see a red out on a monochrome display either :D

wildcard

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Hiya,

I get mackerel showing up no problem on my Raymarine C80 when using the 200 htz transducer.

One question though is how do you know the shoal was 8 mile long ? it could just as easily have been a small shoal heading the same speed and direction as you :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Big marks on sounders are often feed not large shoals of bigger fish 10 years ago i was absolutly amaized one day when cod were jumping aboard if you were to 10 hooks on you would have pulled them up 10 at a time and the daft thing wasnt even a scratch on the sounder this seems to happen rarely but it does baffle you sometimes like i say the big marks on sounders are often feed with the bigger fish flying around feeding i have a koden cvs chromascope set on 10 fathom expansoin it is a very good set and the discrimination is excellent.

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Hiya,

One question though is how do you know the shoal was 8 mile long ? it could just as easily have been a small shoal heading the same speed and direction as you :)

:D:D Never thought of that :P

I read a post once where an angler was amazed at the amount of fish under the boat but couldn't catch anything. He then realised the sounder was in demo mode....

'catchable' fish always show up as some sort of horizontal or diagonal line in my experience. big 'blobs' of fish are baitfish.

Sounder frequency - of use to UK anglers are 200 and 120kHz (I have a 120kHz Koden), with maybe 50 in really deep (400ft+) water. Commercial sets also have lower frequencies available, these offer better seabed discrimination so scallopers use them to find the best scallop gravel.

Edited by Toerag

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com